ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
I assume that any and ALL electric circuits within a gasoline fuel dispenser must comply with the use of explosion proof boxes, sealing compound, conduit seals etc. Per Article 514. Data lines within the dispenser are being used for fuel management. I'm aware that would be considered a class 2 wiring method. Am I correct in thinking it should be treated the same as the 120 volt circuits within the fuel dispenser.

Frank

[This message has been edited by Frank Cinker (edited 02-27-2003).]

M
Hi Frank,
Looking at the 2002 code I would look under 514.7 and 514.8, which will send you back to 511.7. There is were you should find your answer.

Joe

F
I think I may of found the answer. I just looked through my 2002 NFPA Code Handbook. The following is what I copied / paste:
<b>514.9 Sealing.
(A) At Dispenser. A listed seal shall be provided in each conduit run entering or leaving a dispenser or any cavities or enclosures in direct communication therewith. The sealing fitting shall be the first fitting after the conduit emerges from the earth or concrete.</b>

Voltage isn't mentioned, just EACH conduit.

Z
Frank, Yes, you must install data in separate conduits and also must be sealed, at the dispenser and at the building.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
W
What kind of equipment are you installing that takes a Cat 5 Cable?.Never seen that at the pump or dispenser. Can you find it gas and oil resistant? All wiring, speaker and even most monitering which is intrinscally safe most be in rigid and sealed.

B
Finally, gas pumps are catching up with the net. Coke machines have been networked for 30 years!

http://coke.cs.rose-hulman.edu/index.jsp (Note the clever rainbow-colored usage histogram.)

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 02-27-2003).]

R
walrus,
Doesn't 504.20 permit any wiring method to be used for the "IS" wiring within the Class 1 Division 1 location as long as the required boundry seals are installed?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Resqcapt19
You are correct, most monitering equipment is terminated in a shielded cable with a cord grip in a box. All in pipe with seals though.

Dresser Wayne does make(or is close to) an Internet ready pump. Mostly for service at this point from what I've heard. Haven't seen one yet, expect to this summer.

E
I am doing a job right now that includes phone/data, coax, and control (hvac/fire alarm) wiring.

I asked the AHJ for the job about clearence required for the various LV panels and found that they are considered the same as regular electric, 0-150V 36" clearence.

Anything not specifically mentioned specifically shall be treated as regular electric in Fairfax County VA. Made sense to me when I thought about it.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard