ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20814 01/22/03 03:15 PM
J
jb Offline OP
Hello to all,

I have a regular customer (GC) whose wife has found an ancient old light fixture that she would love to hang over their dining room table. For lack of a better description, I would call it a chandelier that is made from a block of wood and has iron(?) arms that extend out from it with a light socket at the end of each. I was unable to find any markings on the fixture or sockets, but it appears that they were meant for use with small base chandelier bulbs. Naturally, there was no manufacturer name or UL listing.

When first introduced to the fixture, I advised against using it in its present condition as the wires were in horrible condition and I didn't like the way they were routed along the fixture. Unfortunately, I didn't see a way of re-wiring it that I would be comfortable with (for safety and aesthetic reasons).

I was wondering, have any of you seen a low voltage conversion kit that could be used to re-wire an old light like this? I don't recall ever seeing any kits like that, but it seems that it could be a safe alternative for re-wiring an old fixture instead of using line voltage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

JB:
I/we painstakingly rewire/rebuild fixtures for our regular clients. Yes, I know what you mean about the "oldies".
I have a tough time finding parts occasionally. As to the LV idea, yes it may be safer, but ya gotta locate a transformer. There are LV sockets, and bulbs available that can be adapted to any design you come up with. Small compact electronic transformers are available around here (up to 150 watts) A good supply house can help ya with the sockets.

If I can help you further, let me know.
(E-mail is in my profile)
John

John
S
Hotline,

I'm sure you've run into this one - those two-lightbulb table lamps (and probably also ceiling fixtures) where the conductors enter these metal-shell lampholders from the side.

Where do you get replacements for THAT??? [Linked Image]

Another thing are those cardboard sleeves and insulating disks.

I wonder if there's any aftermarket company that sells those - the lighting parts stores in my area certainly don't.

Sometimes when you rewire a table lamp (and I've rewired a bunch of them), the switch and/or the shell are still good and it would be cheaper and easier to replace just the rotten paper insulator (and maybe a new interior mechanism) than to unscrew said socket shell and then fumble with nuts, nipples, lock-washers etc. until the lamp is properly reassembled again.

Sometimes it's easier to replace the metal shell lamp holders with bakelite ones...no paper sleeve to worry about. [Linked Image]

T
have you found these guys yet? http://www.westinghouselighting.com/

we do a lot of wiring oddball fixtures, and we have some other sources as well, let me root a bit.

TW

Link Copied to Clipboard