ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
ScAndal Offline OP
OK fellas, I am a 1 year old first home owner and I have done quite a lot of stuff to our home in the last year but yesterday is the most scared I've been.

My wife called me on my cell phone and told me that the power was out in 2 rooms and she smelled something like it was burning.

When I got home, there was one circuit breaker that was reset to off position. I went upstairs to look in the room she smelled the odor and there was a wall outlet that was black. There were a few small burn marks in the carpet where sparks must have shot out of the outlet. I took the outlet off and replaced it with a new one. The wiring was fine, one of the wire that was connected to the outlet was melted/fused to the screw but the others were fine.

Now I went downstairs to reset the breaker but it doesn't stay in the on position. In fact, it doesn't even click anymore like it usually does when you flip it to on.

My question to you folks is: What could cause such a thing? Should I be as worried as I am? Should I just replace the breaker? Or should I call someone in to take a look at it?

Thanks,
ScAndal

Z
Call someone in to look at it. A professional.

Administrator
I agree. It seems you are in unfamiliar territory here. Calling in someone to check everything out would be the best advice we can give here.

Link Copied to Clipboard