ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
X
XDude Offline OP
Ok, I am NOT an electrician, but I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out with, I hope.

My mom recently had a washer stop working, then a couple days later her dryer ALSO stopped working, we bought new ones since we needed new ones anyway and didn't think much of it. BUT when we got home after buying new ones our freezer had ALSO stopped working, all these are plugged in the garage. We have been having the power go on and off lately, is it possible that a power surge caused ALL 3 of these to go at once? We've had hundreds of power failures before without any problems throughout the years, my mom won't listen to me when I say it's probably not a power surge, what do you guys think? Thanks

Xdude:
Before you plug any new appliances in....PLEASE contact a qualified (licensed) electrician in your area.

You may have a problem with your electric power in your home; it may be related to your power company; it may only be in your home.

IF you have a "loose" neutral, you may have fluctuating voltage conditions. You may have an "open" neutral; or a myrid of other problems.

It is to involved to explain here.

Think about this:
Professional electrician....$ 100 charge
Replace appliances again....$ 1200.00++

The above figures are inserted for example; the rates for a sparky in your area may be higher or lower; the prices for your appliances you already know.

The above is my humble opinion.

John

John
A
XDude,
Definatly call a qualified electrician. Something sounds arai! Appliances cost to much
and remember assuming only makes an ass out of u & me!

F
Xdude,
also if it is a problem with the wiring inside or outside mom's insurance might pay for the appliances

H
Just my 2 cents, You mightbe able to contact the power company to check their lines. If the loose neutral is on their side they might come out fix it for no charge. In some areas though the power company have been charging people for certain things. So before you ask them to come out, see if they will charge you or not.

N
XDude,

Majority rules!

Definitely get a sparky out before you happen to smoke anymore appliances.

If the utilities are having power go on & off in the frequent past it could be harmless outages or a very serious and costly situation!

Power in your house will quit working for numerous reasons. But, from what you are describing, save the bad appliances until you get it checked out by an electrician. Depending on what is determined by them, and then most likely the utility, the utility may end up paying for the damages!

Had this exact scenario happen last week, Furnace, stove electronic controls & blower motor of exhaust vent, HD TV, DVD, VCR---BYE-BYE!!!!!

Actually what gave the homeowner a clue something was amiss, the sparks shooting out of devices. We checked, inconsistent readings to make a complete determination. Called utility, they checked, seemed o.k..

We installed a new service due to age and problem, plus need for more future space. Two days later same scenario, and only the furnace was repaired to get COOKED AGAIN!!!

Fire Dept, again, US, and utility at 2A.M. thinking it has to be the underground wires. A little more in depth testing forced the problem to show itself with our help, and some colder temperatures as on the last occurence date. The Neutral underground wire was damaged in some fashion as to cease a connection to the inside of the house.

And, graciously enough the utility is covering all damages and labor to rectify the situation, and the 2nd $500 to get the heat going again.

Link Copied to Clipboard