ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Hi.

I understand that wiring inside of junction boxes must be accessible.

Are boxes that were under the floor prior to a certain date "grandfathered?" (I'm talking twist, solder, and tape splices from K&T.)

In an attic, for example, can one mount a JB such that with a cover it would be flush with the floor? If it's OK by code, I don't think the usual metal covers (silver colored with the teardrop-type screw hole on one side) would be a good choice here because dust/dirt/etc. can enter. Is there such a thing as a plain plate made for a JB? I have seen 5", white, metal plates but nothing in 4".

Thanks,
Still learning,
--
TG

G
Thinkgood, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but I'll take a stab at it.In general 314.29 2002 nec adresses acessability for j-boxes and conduit bodies.
In reguards to covers for j-boxes in an attic, yes attics are usually dusty but a standard cover is usually permissible. Also j-boxes and cables are to be protected from physical damage i.e.stepping on them. I prefer where possible to mount them to a vertical brace if possible to get them off the ceiling joists out of harms way.

G
I reread your post and think that you are asking if say a j-box in a crawlspace or attic that is not up to today's code can you leave it as is? It depends on the locality and if the work you are doing involves said box.If it is sized properly,has a proper cover,annd the splices look good then most ahj's will allow it to stay. If it looks like a rats nest and has no cover you should tell the customer that it is unsafe and should be fixed. Hope this helps.

T
Hi.

To clarify, if the JB is on the attic floor joists. Thus, if floor boards or plywood were put down, and a plate is over the JB, is that acceptable? Sort of like an in-floor receptacle but instead of that, a blank plate.

TG:
If the box is accessable, and not subject to physical damage, it would be acceptable by me as long as it complied with box fill.

You are refering to an "attic" that has an open floor (joists only) that is about to have flooring installed, correct??

John

John
T
Hi, John.

Box fill is OK, and yes on the joists only.

Thanks for your help.

P. S. Just how many of these is one allowed to link together? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Link Copied to Clipboard