ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]

Branch circuit to a residential cooktop

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 10-17-2002).]

Donnie
Oh man, I've got a hornet's nest of an entire house that looks like this garbage coming up next week. I'll get pix. A "rescue job" renov and botched rewire... Forgot my camera when I was there yesterday, they had #14 120V circuits on 2 pole 30A CBs, the main bus has has several shorts (burned, pitted, carbon, etc...) from errant and too short EGC's, a 2" LB full of NM cable, and that's some of the errors in the new servcie just to start... Plus, the guy has the attitude that he's doing me the favor of giving me work! And had the gaul to complain of the price! Auuuugh!

Oh... stop me... A pix is worth 1000 words and I'll have some Monday!

<back on topic> I can relate Donnie! Oh boy, can I relate!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
the infamous 'flyin splice' , alive & well .....

Just laziness, isn't it.
People that do work to these standards,
should be lined up against a wall and shot,as
they never have to fix them up, it's normally someone else, later on in the life of the installation.

J
It looks like captire coming out of the wall. Did they cut the plug off and wire it direct?

T
This shelf was crammed full of metal pans and the flex was laying on top of them [Linked Image]

jdevlin....The wire is 10-2 Type NM on a 2p30 amp breaker.Pretty sure the same thing exists behind the built-in oven. [Linked Image]

Donnie
P
Replace the BX with Romex and the wirenuts with British-type "choc block" connectors, and it would look all too familiar..... [Linked Image]

B
I see a lot of these. It's usually from a DIY'er doing some rewire or new installation based on the advice from the orange vest guys. I know ya'll don't like those orange vest guys, but they do help my income.

Bob

T
Existing installation.........
Can a box be added to contain the splices,or If we work on it does the circuit have to be replaced w/4wire? What if a new cooktop is being installed at existing location?
My take on this is that if the circuit needed to be relocated,such as in a remodel,a new 4 wire is required.I'm just questioning whether this requirement applies to replacing appliances.

Donnie
Broom Pusher and
'Another "Suck-Cessfull" Installation By Your Friendly Neighborhood EE - Lekk - Trishun'

At least there's a glass bowl to catch water as it runs back down the "Drip-Loop", which keeps the flying splices from being submersed in water / oil / booze / etc.

Also the glass bowl can double as an insulated disconnect device - just in case someone gets caught in a ground fault, or in the slim possibility of a fault at the exposed Conductors.

BTW, all except the stuff at the top are extreme jokes. The top part is justified by the spelling - making it "Dumber Than Dirt"

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard