ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
A customer wants me to move a light fixture on the first floor of a two story home, 48in East and 36in South.In order to move East I have to go through 3 ceiling joyces,spaced 16in apart.She just had her ceiling painted flat white(sheetrock)with NO texture.I work mostly in new construction and really don't know how to do this except by cutting the ceiling sheetrock.I do have a 48in wood bit with a pull hole at the tip.
The fixture is light enough so I can use a round ceiling box with the flip ears that will hang on the sheet rock,if I could just pull the wires to the new location.She said she could live with a decorative(flat white) cover plate on the old location.
Suggestions please!!!!

R
I think you should cut the ceiling and expose the joists to drill them. One long strip, if not glued on, should come out and go back in when you're done. I like to see where I'm drilling, especially if there may not be conventional floor joists above (be cautious of drilling beams). Apply a thick coat of spackle so you don't need a second coat, and go back the next day to smooth it out with a wet sponge. This way the spackle will melt away without leaving a mess. Then, since it was just painted, she (or you if you are inclined) can touch it up.

S
It would make me real nervous drilling though the joists. Particularly not being ablt to see them. In a none load spport I would feel OK about using a flexi bit but not with that situation. See if you can sweet talk her into letting your use wiremold. Very fast and no risk.
Don

C
I really like this forum for all the great ideas that different people have.Thanks for the consult and correcting me on my spelling of joist.
Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard