ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 378 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5864 12/11/01 09:00 PM
S
Steve T Offline OP
Anyone got a master list of all fifty states contractor and/or electrician licensing requirements?

Illinois has none,neither do most counties (around Chicago that I know of anyway), licensing is handled at a local level.

This gets really difficult when out of state contractors want to register. It difficult with in state contractors. I'm trying to develop a good system and it is going to take a little bit of homework.

#5865 12/11/01 10:09 PM
Hey Steve,
I passed my Il. Residential Contractor's Exam in 1993 in Naperville. Moved closer to the sun just about 3 years ago. No recipriosity. Florida Masters must also take a businesss law exam, I passed the BL test last month take Master Exam next month.
Electrical Code--Chapter 22 of the Code of the City of Orlando.
Sec. 22.05. Certificates of Competency
It shall be unlawful for any person to whom a certificate of competency has not been issued in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter to do any electrical construction, or make repairs, alterations, additions or changes to any existing system of electrical wiring, apparatus or equipment for light, heat or power within the limits of the City.
Sec. 22.03-1. Journeyman Electrician; Master Electrician--Qualification to Take Examination.
(1)Before an applicant shall qualify to take the Block and Associates examination for journeyman electrician, he shall submit proof of three (3) years experience. Credit for verified satisfactory trade school attendance will be accepted in lieu of experience with such credit not to exceed one (1) year and two (2) years being field construction-type experience, commercial or residential.
(2)Before an applicant shall qualify to take the Block and Associates examination for master electrician, he shall submit proof of not less than two (2) years experience as a journeyman electrician or as a master electrician, or their equivalent in some other jurisdiction.

#5866 12/11/01 10:58 PM
S

#5867 12/12/01 08:40 PM
S
Steve T Offline OP
How's that tune go from down there..It's a small world...something something.

I obtained my Master's License in Hillsborough County in the early 90's. Most FL counties would reciprocate, but some, like Lee county and either Dade county or the City of Miami accepted only licensees who took their test or the State test. I took the Business test when I tested too. That is a pretty hard test, but Tom Henry's course was well suited to help me pass the test. Oh yeah, I learned a lot too.

Also I know Alabama would reciprocate a Florida State License but Florida would not reciprocate an Alabama license. At least when I was testing.

We would accept a Naperville License. We would accept a Northlake License and they don't even test to the best of my knowledge. Yeah, something's wrong with this. I'm trying to fix it in between the 10 to 15 inspections and 5 to 10 phone calls a day.

#5868 12/12/01 09:14 PM
We would accept a Naperville License.
Thursday...Partly sunny. Highs 81 to 84
Humidity: 87%
Thanks, but I think I'll stay.No more long johns. I worked for Arlington Heights PW for 12 years. Setting street light poles a while bak, I told my helper to face the hand hole towards the sidewalk so that the plows don't bury it. He didn't get it.
Tom Henry's course was well suited to help me pass the test. I attended his course, too. His son Tim teaches now. They travel, too. I highly recommend their test-prep seminars for the unfortunate ones that can not commute to Winter Park. http://www.code-electrical.com

Link Copied to Clipboard