ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5655 11/28/01 09:30 PM
M
mar1961 Offline OP
Hello on Dec. 4th I will be taking my WV Journeyman's test and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has takin or who knows any thing about the WV test. I guess im sort of looking for some tips or advise. THANKS

#5656 11/28/01 11:07 PM
mar1961,

Hello! Welcome to ECN!

Assuming the test is still on the '99 Code, The '99 NEC (of course), the '99 UGLY'S Book, and a scientific calculator is a good start, get very familiar with them.

Know your equations, especially for motors (involving phases and power factors, etc.).
Demand Load calcs too. Probably some conduit fill and conductor ampacity derating...

If all this sounds confusing, stick around... Ask questions... You've found the best help you can get here at ECN!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#5657 11/29/01 07:22 PM
Tom Offline
I'm not going to tell you how long ago I took my master's test, but they let us use an abacus [Linked Image]

Virgil's advice is good, but keep in mind that your test is being administered by the West Virginia Fire Marshall. Unless things have changed quite a bit, I don't think they are qualified. You might want to find out about "exceptions" (in the NEC) because to a fireman, always is always and never is never. The previous fire marshall (thank goodness he is no longer in charge) used to feel that exceptions shouldn't be allowed since they were too confusing. Well, they can be, but he's a fireman & should be confused.

Anyhow, I guess you can tell I don't think much of our licensing setup.

Since you know how to read, you're halfway there, be familiar with the calculation examples in the back of the code book and know how to use the index (that is very important since you can spend a lot of time trying to find something). Be sure to read each question in its entirety, don't jump to conclusions.

Good luck

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard