ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 479 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Disconnect? We don't need no disconnect! At least, not for residential hot tubs.

The tubside "switches" I've seen are usually air-operated, with no electric anywhere near the water.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
My neighbor has a hot tub that makes me shake my head. It is a real fancy thing with a LCD control panel and real switches right in the rim. It runs off a CMOS controller about 20' away via a ribbon cable. They have a U/L sticker on it but I don't know how you resolve that with 680.
I asked the owner of the company about it and he blew me off like I was a moron. "That's low voltage, it doesn't count. Don't you know anything?".
Since I really had no "J" in the game I had to just walk away shaking my head.

Greg Fretwell
G
FWIW department-
All equipment covered in article 680 with the exception of lighting is required to have a "disconnecting means"
This disconnecting means must be within sight of it's equipment. (visible from it's equipment and not more than 50 feet away) I would not approve an air switch or a keypad as that disconnecting means no more than I would accept a stop/start station as a disconnect for a motor. As for the spa with the disconnect switch under the skirt of the spa where the motor/pump/etc is located I think it certainly qualifies as within 50 feet of it's quipment and visible. As for the 5' thingee in 680.22(C), I can say that the skirt with a removable panel provides the required barrier.

Hey! I can have my opinion.

For those inspectors that can't buy this - are you having the contractors remove this factory installed disconnect that's under the skirt of the spa??

This installation would not need an "Emergency Switch" if it were installed in a residential setting.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 09-27-2006).]

George Little
Cat Servant
George, I agree with your fine point. The disconnect is a separate issue from the "emergency" switch. Please forgibe my sloppy thinking.

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 09-27-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard