ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
314.23(E)&(F) says you can support enclosures from raceways and 352.12(B) referencing 352.10(H) says you can't support anything but conduit bodies from RNC. Can you support a swimming pool wet niche "J" box from RNC? How about a transformer?

I know we routinely OK the J box. Is it really a violation?

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
The specific rules always "trump" the general rules.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 09-05-2006).]

Don(resqcapt19)
E
No, you cannot support neither a deck box or a transformer with PVC conduit. 90.3 tells us that information in Chapters 1-4 apply generally, and Chapters 5-7 supplement or modify the general rules.
314.23(E)&(F) tells us we can support a splicing device with RMC or IMC conduit (the only 2 wiring methods that can be threaded wrenchtight).
352.10(H) allows conduit bodies containing splicing devices (wire-nuts).
Both transformers and deck boxes need to be listed (680.24) Nowhere in 680.24 does it allow the PVC conduit to support the deck box or transformer.

It really is a violation!

[This message has been edited by earlydean (edited 09-05-2006).]

Earl
G
The PVC J boxes really do not have a place to provide additional support.
Usually they do just get stuck up on the stubs that come out of the ground. If the pool is built on a stem wall and the equipment is on the ground these can be on some pretty tall pipes. I have never liked it but it is SOP. The other day I had a fellow IAEI inspector say the same rule would allow a transformer if it was made of a suitable material with threaded hubs. I drew the line there. I see you agree with my original contention, that the J boxes were also illegal, although I don't know how else you would do it.
Mine are really supported by the RNC but I have a clamp within an inch of the J box and they are against the wall.

Greg Fretwell
G
There's some Listed equipment out there made by I think a company called "Thermcraft" and sold through T & B. The deck boxes are supported by an optional solid post or an optional bracket suport. They also are Listed for multiple lights with terminations for more than one fixture. I saw them when I was at the Jubilee in FL. Greg you might remember the booth where the guy was pushing their products.
Found a site that I was talking about: http://www.californiapoolsupply.net..._Fixture_Swimming_Pool_Ju_p/jbp57510.htm

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 09-05-2006).]

George Little
G
Interesting George. The Thermocraft is the box we see but I never see the support hardware. Usually it is just a 1x3 PT scrap they find in the dumpster from the window framers and strapped to the raceways.

(Yeah I suppose they might bring a 1x3 but I doubt it)

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard