ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99697 08/30/06 10:30 PM
D
defalg Offline OP
I am not an electrician but, I own a small stage lighting business. I do many fairs and festivals where my work is always confined to a stage.
I have a wedding comming up in an out door setting in connecticut. I am going to hire a local electrician to tie in to a generator. The generator is a 65kw three phase 208v system with GFCI.

After the electrician ties in my 4/0 cam tails is it legal for me to do the rest of the job myself.
I will be running the 2/0 entertainment grade feeders to three distribution panels VIA cam-lok in/thru. And I will be the one sending entertainment grade 12/3 extention cord to service coffee, fridge....ect?

GD

GD
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
You will need to call the local building dept for the area where you will be doing this work to find out what their law is regarding who can do what kind of work.

S
For some reason, as I read through this, I keep thinking of the family portrait scene in the movie King Ralph.

D
defalg Offline OP
I dont get it. Please explain!

GD
I
As has been pointed out the answer to the question 'Are you allowed to?' can only be answered by the local building dept.

However a more important question is this.

Are you qualified to do this work?

Are you familiar with the code rules regarding 'cam locs' and where they can be used?

Are you familiar with ground fault paths and proper overcurrent protection.

I always remember a video on a TV show called "Max-X" the video showed a typical wedding party under a tent, everyone was dancing and a boy about six years old touched a tent pole that the DJ had hung equipment from. As soon as the boy touched it he latched right on and was being electrocuted he had no chance of saving himself.

Luckily someone saw what was happening and basically tackled the kid off of the pole.

He certainly would have died.

Please keep this in mind as you are doing your job.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-02-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
I dont get it. Please explain!

At a family reunion of the British royal family, they line everybody up on a set of metal risers to get a family photo of the entire royal family. The risers are sitting in a puddle. The photographer's high-voltage photoflash cable is sitting in the same puddle. Tragedy ensues. [Linked Image]

Segue to Las Vegas, where American lounge singer/piano player Ralph Jones (played by John Goodman) is informed that his father was the bastard son of the Duke of Warren, and he is therefore the surviving heir to the throne of Great Britain. Comedy ensues. [Linked Image]

My message is the same as iwire's--Be careful, and don't kill anybody.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 09-02-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard