ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Niko Offline OP
My registeration expired or i could not use my existing ID and/or password so i had to register again.

My ispection was failed because the inspector said all multiwire branch circuit that share a neutral must be on a tied breaker.

In my situation i had two single breakers on two different busbars feeding two receptacles for garebage disposer and the washing machine.

My understanding is whenever there is a peotential difference between the ungrounded conductors on one device then the breaker has to be tied.

Is he correct in his statement?

Thanks
Edward

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
In my opinion he is incorrect. As long as the two breakers are on opposing poles of the panel buss there is no code violation until they are feeding a single yolk. If they are not feeding a single yolk device than they can be 1,3,5,7,9, etc spaces apart, but I would have them right next to each other.

L
Remember also that, when NOT using handle-tied breakers, that every neutral connection cannot depend on the receptacle screws, but must be joined, and terminals pigtailed.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Niko Offline OP
Larry, I ALWAYS- ALWAYS make pigtails.

If you think the inspector is right or has an argument please give me a code reference i can not find any NEC reference that supports his statement.

Thanks
Edward

C
Edward

Did you mean disposal and dishwasher ? Are you feeding a single split wired duplex receptacle with this circuit? If you are feeding a split wired duplex with this circuit you need a handle tie or a 2 pole breaker. As long as both of these circuits do not connect to a single device (yoke) you don’t need a handle tie or 2 pole breaker.

What city is this in?

Curt

Curt Swartz
Niko Offline OP
Curt,

It is San Jose.

I always use two separate receptacles.
The inspector said everytime you have multiwire branch circuits and share a neutral, you must use tied breakers.

???????

Thankx
edward

C
I'm sure this was a combo inspector. Call the city and ask to speak with the electrical supevisor for the area your project is in. Don't change the breaker just to make him happy.

Curt

Curt Swartz
T
The flat I just moved out of had this configuration- common duplex receptacle feeding a dishwasher and a disposal, two circuits, handle tied. For me, it makes sense because this way you won't run into a half-dead box assuming it's fully dead.

I
Remember also that, when NOT using handle-tied breakers, that every neutral connection cannot depend on the receptacle screws, but must be joined, and terminals pigtailed.

This applies handle ties or not.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
Right you are!

300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity — Conductors.

(B) Device Removal. In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 08-18-2006).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard