ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I have a customer that is having a pool put in. They have the regular "wet niche" light which I have no question about. They want another light or lights, to shine up into a "custom built waterfall" as the water flows over ( like in a "sheet" of water ) According to Art. 411, low voltage lights under 30 volts cannot be closer than 10 ft. from the edge of the pool, unless allowed in Art. 680. I can't seem to find anything in 680 that says anything about this type of lighting. These lights if installed, will have to be right at the water's edge, up above the pool water level about 3 or 4 ft. She's thinking about having low voltage lights here and they will have to be under the "sheet" of water, shining up at the water, as it flows into the pool. Any suggestions how I can do this and still be code-compliant? Thanks a lot, Steve....

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The easy answer is fiber optics, that is how they do water features and pool edge lighting in my wife's fancier houses. The "illuminator" is mounted outside the 5' exclusion zone. Pricy but pretty safe. I doubt you could find a listed pool light that would work out of the water, even if the AHJ would go along.

Greg Fretwell
G
I agree Greg- I had a similar installation I had to inspect and he ended up with fiber optic becuse there are no Listed electric lights of any voltage that can do what he would like to do. Fiber Optics will also give him an array of colors if he want's that.

George Little
S
George, Greg, I have never worked with fiber optics. What is involved with it? I suspect some kind of transformer, then the optic cable run to the location desired? thanks.. Steve...

G
There are lots of web pages that talk about fiber, mostly from guys who sell it. Basically you set a GFCI protected receptacle for the "illuminator" out there in the free zone and pipe the fibers where they go. Fibers come in bundles that get sold based on how many discrete fibers are in the bundle. More fiber, more light. The colors all come from filters in the illuminator. That "lightbulb in a box" is going to surprise you when you buy it. It will be something like $800. You should be able to get some help from the distributor if you are doing this yourself but "fiber" is a specialty contractor as often as not here.
The electrician just roughs in the receptacle for the illuminator.

Greg Fretwell
Sparky:
I did a few fiber lighting jobs on pools. The pool contractor supplied all the goodies.

One was a perimeter strip around (under) the coping; we did total install. Glue on mounting track, fit fiber into track. Snake over to lite box; 'cleave' end; done. 400 watt MH lite box, 5 color 'wheel'. Looked interesting at nite.

Same pool; retrofit 12 fiber 'bullet' type mini-spots 18" under mean high water line. Had 12 'fibers back to lite box. All in 1" PVC. Stubbed up under lite box, 400 watt MH. Looked 'soft' at nite; basically invisable during day.

Same job; had to 'light' waterfall (another 'add on') Used two (2) Stonco 12o volt spots; 250 watt PAR64 VNSP bulb, blue gel filter. Mounted 18' from pool on 22' pole. Added custom baffle; all was/is well.

Other pool; 4 fiber spots, 18" below water line; two color; 2-400 watt MH lite boxes. 1" PVC; same deal; this one was visable in daylight.

John

PS: BEWARE of the low end with the MR16 lamps; had a few complaint calls (thru pool co.) Dissatisfied clients; attempted service, & gave up. Not something we installed.

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 08-15-2006).]

John
S
John, do you install in North Carolina [Linked Image]
I bet your answer is: For the right price [Linked Image]

SparkyNC:

OK, IF the price is right......

Seriously, the point I'm trying to make is...
Read the mfg instructions and give it a shot!
That's what I/we did. Yes, it was a little touchy at first, but it got done with good results.

The guy paying $$$$$ was happy. My comments are mine, I'm kinda critical on custom lighting jobs that I'm involved in.

Basically, get some literature, & give it a shot.

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard