ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99546 08/11/06 01:28 PM
J
JBJQEP Offline OP
With 70E quickly working its way into industry has anyone been able to come up with a REALTIVELY easy and economical way of completing the hazard analyses on all circuits? Once again a new regulation being applied to existing facilities is causing budget mightmares.

Thanks!!!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#99547 08/11/06 05:42 PM
G
I have a question about who is suppose to enforce 70E?

George Little
#99548 08/11/06 08:44 PM
C
"OSHA"

Charlie

#99549 08/21/06 04:32 PM
J
JBJQEP Offline OP
OSHA is about the only agency that can regulate compliance since NFPA is only a concensus organization. OSHA's problem is how, when and what to cite. Do they use the General Duty clause, PPE or Sub-Part S safe work practices. Then when do they site? When they see something that is IDLH or absence of a hazard analysis of proper PPE. Their incorporation by reference is weak at best. It's all developing - I'm sure we'll find out more as it ages.

#99550 08/21/06 05:05 PM
G
There is nothing to enforce until some governmental organization with enforcement power adopts it as law. Then it is whichever "hired gun" they employ who will enforce it. I suppose it could also be adopted by insurance companies, written into the policies and enforced by the insurance adjusters.

Greg Fretwell
#99551 08/21/06 07:35 PM
C
according to a osha rep at a 70E course I attended last Dec. Osha requested NFPA to elevate the standard that we see today. Quite a distance from the orignal many years ago.

The OSHA rep also stated that since the adoption of the current 70E they are using the referenc articles when issuing citations.

There is a paragarph in their document that requires they state (reference) how (to) remedey the cited behavior in the future.

So I guess it's in force

Charlie

#99552 08/23/06 02:34 AM
J
I work for Weyerhaeuser. our factory has been made compliant. the corprate sent an inspection company to come and do a one line. from the base trans. to main disco to every disco. i was along side him giveing info. we documented breaker rating, wire size, length of run, loades, each motor rating. % of usage. And he sent us back a good one line with stickers with acrh flash rating, and proper ppe. for each disco. this was big money, I dont now the total. but this was just the first of it. you also have to take a training course, ours was a online costal training. then new procedures for everything you do. then the proper ppe flame retardent long sleave shirts and pants. and then hard hat face shield,gloves innerse and outers, boots. saftey barracades. live work procedure, and tags. and I know there is a lot I am leaving out. what a night mare. As for enforement I think It will first be insurance co. then If you have an incedent the osha will come in with a caculator to add up all the money, and you will become compliant our shut down.

#99553 08/23/06 03:42 AM
M
And then the mongol hordes take your country, and sell your kids into slavery. Our land is doomed if this is allowed to continue

#99554 08/23/06 05:49 AM
J
yes exactly.

#99555 08/23/06 08:11 AM
C
According to statistics there are approxamately 450 electricians per year that die from arc burns these are generally third degree and as I understand extreamly painfull.
this figure represents more than one electricans death per day.

The requirements for PPE only address the injuries from flash, the industry at this time does not agree on a calculation to cover BLAST.

The powers to be expect enforcment of 70E and a change in our culture will only mitigane 50% of these cases.

The increase in energy efficiency and increased available fault current does not fall in favor for those of us who tested 220 with our fingers.

Another problem is the improper OCPD with a high let thru that causes these problems, hopefull through educataion the incidents will diminish.

A lot of the training that has evolved from 70E adoption talks about lost (man) hours due to injury. ( don't jump on me for the gender reference) The insurance companies and "industry bean counters" may in fact be the ones that are driving the boat, but it is US that are putting our lives in danger or harms way, I for one would like to be around with hands and eyes to see and lift my grand children.

just a thought

charlie

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 08-23-2006).]

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 08-23-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard