ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9939 05/23/02 12:36 PM
B
BigJim Offline OP
Howdy all... I'm removing a wall to put in a sliding door to the deck, and I got such amazing help on a plumbing board relocating a water pipe, that I'm hoping you all can help with an electric issue. I'm encountering a couple problems with an electric outlet that is located in the section of wall I'm removing. It is a standard 2 plug-in receptacle.

(1) I've determined that each of the plug-ins in this outlet is fed by a separate circuit. I determined this by plugging lamps into each socket. When I turned of circuit 10 at the main box, one light went out, but the other remained lit. When I turned off circuit 12, the other light went out. Is this normal? What can be a cause for this?

(2) I had to remove some flooring to reroute boiler heating pipes, and in the process I located the electrical feed which seems very taught, indicating I do not have enough length to relocate the outlet to the side of the new door. Because that option seemed impractical, my original plan was to simply take apart the outlet, cap off the wires, put in a metal box and leave it under the floor. However, while buying the supplies at Home Depot, I've now been told this is out of compliance with code, as the box needs to remain "accessible." I just can't figure out any way to leave this box accessible with the current wiring length. Also, I'm guessing issue #1 above may make that plan impossible in the likely event there is something branching off one of the plug-ins.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide based on my layman description. Of course, I'll be happy to do any investigation needed to fill in additional facts.

W
Bigjim, Don't always trust what the local "professionals" in orange aprons tell you. A call to a local licensed electrical contractor who could properly analize the situation could save you some problems down the road. (I.E. Safety and code compliance)Without seeing the situation it is difficult to give a correct answer. There could be a small detail left out that could change the situation completely. Wirewiz let us know how you make out.

R
What is beneath the floor. A crawlspace?

B
"the local "professionals" in orange aprons"

Now that is a very apt description...

Administrator
BigJim,

An Electrician that does remodelling work deals with situations like this all the time. That would be your best bet and the best advice we could give here.

Btw, if there is a crawlspace or basement below the room a junction box down there is accessible.

Good Luck,

Link Copied to Clipboard