ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#99329 10/28/04 07:06 AM
M
Just got My 2005 Code Book, looking at some changes, & it seems We are going to have some issues with grounding rebar in concrete.
Does anyone have any ideas on this yet, Would it be possible to have the concrete contractors leave a section stubed out above the pour ?
On jobs where there aren't any conduit runs to be incased, the EC may not be anywhere near the site when the pour occurs.
Also, it looks like Building Steel, Rebar, Metal Waterline etc will ALL be connected now.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
I think what will have to happen is that if the EC isn't on site before or during the pour, the footing contractor will have to stub out a piece of rebar for the EC to tie onto. As far as the building steel, water line, etc., these were already required to be tied together.

I better make sure we're on the same page. You're talking about 250.50, right?

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 10-28-2004).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
M
I believe so, I don't have My Code book with Me, but I think that is correct.
What do You know about the coated rebar ???
That doesn't require bonding ??

R
Coated rebar is commonly used in bridge construction and has no metal contact with the concrete.

I have never seen it used in footers, but doesn't mean it isn't.

Roger

M
Our Cont Ed Instructor said it may be used more often, After 2005 is adopted, if the cost isn't too prohibitive.
Seems easy enough to just stub up a piece above the pour though....

R
The cost of epoxy coated steel, in my opinion, is never going to be less expensive than simply using normal steel and having to use it as an electrode.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
E
The beauty when using the rebar as a grounding electrode is that the 2 ground rods are no longer required.
Also, just because the 2005 NEC is out, doesn't mean that your town or state has adopted it.

Earl
Now that it is going to be required everywhere . . . eventually. How does Florida do it now? I believe they require the Ufer throughout the state and the concrete contractor just turns up a piece of the rebar in the area of the service. I would like to hear how it's done in Florida now. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
G
They turn up a #5 in SW Florida. It comes up into the block cell and they knock a hole so the can get to it (usually sprayed green so it doesn't get poured solid when they do the dowels). The electrician pushes his #4 down from the panel to meet the #5, puts a bronze acorn on it and puts a blank cover over the hole.

Greg Fretwell
G
It is my opinion that the intent of previous editions of the code was that the rebar system was supposed to be used as a portion of the grounding electrode already. The 2005 change from "If available on the premises" to "that are present at" is simply an effort to more concisely spell out what the intent was. There is nothing new here. We should have been connecting into the rebar system all along.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard