ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 451 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9925 05/21/02 01:09 PM
J
In an industrial setting. 30amp 480volt Flexible Drop cords to supply power to machinery. These Cords must have Strain relief at the top.
My question, must the twist lock plugs which are located 6' off the floor also have special strain relief built in?
400.10 in the 2002 NEC does not go into a lot of detail.
What's your take?
Thanks

R
Joe, are you asking if the female end of the hanging cord needs strain relief? What strain would be imposed on the cord cap? Just the 6' cord from the unit?

I would think the strain relief on top will protect the cord from damage while hanging. The twist-lock plug and cap will not have much strain, at least not enough to damage anything.

What's your thoughts on this?

Rick Miell

J
Yes, that was my question. I did'nt think it would be an issue although I recalled seeing strain reliefs on the female plug in several factories. It may have been a policy within the factory or perhaps the local AHJ specified them.

R
I have seen strain relief where an outlet box was hung at the bottom of the cord drop. But I imagine the cord caps clamp would be adequate in your case.

Link Copied to Clipboard