ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99249 08/01/06 10:39 PM
S
Can you come out of a GFI recptacle and feed a light in an underground pool?
Also I have 1 3/4 hp motor with a nameplate
rating of 12.8 amps and another 3/4 hp. motor with a nameplate rating of 11 amps. ( don't know why they are different ). For the feeder size to the subpanel, I'm figuring 125% of the largest motor which would be 16 amps plus the other motor ( 11 amps) which would be 27 amps. I will have the pool light and a GFI recpt. on it also. Does anyone know what the normal wattage of the pool light is, and what kind of load would I figure on the recpt. ? I believe the 180 volt ampere rating is for "other than residential".
Sorry, one more thing. The light cord for the pool is long enough to run straight to the panel. I don't see any reason why I would have to set the "typical" junction box. In my opinion it would be safer to take it directly to the panel without any splices. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. You know how the "Code" can be with it's exceptions etc.. I don't like doing things twice, and even more, at my expense [Linked Image] Thanks.. Steve

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 08-01-2006).]

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 08-01-2006).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#99250 08/02/06 12:12 AM
G
You need the J box if this is a wet niche lamp. "Shall" is used several times in 680.24.
You can connect the light behind the GFCI receptacle but remember the Equipment Grounding Conductor must be unspliced to the listed wet niche junction box. These lights are usually 300w or 600w. (120v)
If you are not familiar with the J box wiring you should look over the handbook descriptions. You will have an 8ga bonding conductor from the forming shell, The EGC in the cable and your unspliced EGC from the panel, all on the bonding terminals along with your 2 circuit conductors that usually just get wire nutted.

You are not going to put this on the same circuit as the motors. I suppose you could share one 30a for the motors but it has to be GFCI if they are cord and plug connected.
You also pick up the motors with the 8ga bonding from the pool steel.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 08-02-2006).]

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard