ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
I'm working in a new single-family dwelling and in the attic is a level above the attic (without a staircase), and on this level is an accesible attic ventilation fan. Would a lighting outlet be required for this location per NEC?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
My answer is "Maybe"
It would need illumination in the attic with a switch located at the entrance to that attic space if that is where you would be servicing it. NEC 210.70(A)(3)
I see a lot of attic fans that are meant to be serviced from the roof side of the attic. For that you are reqiored to wear a miners cap w/lamp. [Linked Image]

George Little
Cat Servant
I say "not required." As I see it "servicing" means regular, routine maintenance.... and not the possibility that someday it might break.

Shock:
I tend to lean towards George's opinion.
As you said 'new house', and someone may define the attic fan as mechanical equip, it may be 'required'. Also for consideration for a decision/opinion would be....can this 'space' be defined as "storage".....
that said, you may want to install a light, and save all the debate.

John

John
S
John:

I totally agree that a light should be installed. A pullchain or whatever. But my boss is too cheap to "giveaway" even a pullchain. It's as if he'd rather argue with the inspector about it then just doing it. If I were an AHJ I would expect to see one in this particular case. Thanks for the insight.

I
But my boss is too cheap to "giveaway" even a pullchain.

When and if you own a company you can giveaway anything you want.

Until than you can do what the boos says or find a new place to work.

It's as if he'd rather argue with the inspector about it then just doing it.

It's his company to make that decision.

If I were an AHJ I would expect to see one in this particular case.

If the unit is designed to be serviced from the roof than IMO you would be out of line.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
The t-stat and electrical connections are all made inside the house in the attic. And I understand everything about this being "his business" and all that. However, this is July and it is hot. When the time comes for inspection it'll be even hotter. So guess who'll have to go up into that steaming hot attic to install a light?

I
So guess who'll have to go up into that steaming hot attic to install a light?

LOL

Not him? [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Me!

Besides, this guy I'm working for now seems to be a total jacka$$. It really is unbelievable how this guy gets by, A month ago on the job, he had me and a helper remove standard receptacles in a kitchen (non-countertop) and replace them with GFCIs. I did it anyway then so showed him in the Code later that I did not have to do it. This contractor is a total hack and the only reason why I'm still with him is the fact that the shop is less than 3 miles from my house. On the first day of working for this guy he handed me a 15 amp single receptacle and told me to wire it up to a 20 amp microwave line. That should give you some sort of idea of who I'm working for these days.

S
ShockMe,

Did you get paid for installing those GFCI's?

I used to have guys work for me that complained about doing some things. Unless it is not to code and you feel a moral and ethical obligation not to do the work, if your boss asks you to carry a ladder back and forth across the job all day, do it and don't ask questions.
If the boss wants financial analysis, he'll ask for it. Most bosses won't ask a worker to be involved with the money. If he goes broke because you are wasting time, he's going to go broke sooner or later anyways.

If someone paid me to install GFCI's for every receptacle in the house, I'd be glad to be working, and happy knowing I have gone above the minimum requirement of the code.
As long as the check clears.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard