ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
I need a Code refernce if there is one.
Existing store being seperated into two units. Each will have their own service.
Low bidder wants to use the existing single raceway to the rooftop units with feeders from the two seperate services for the seperate rooftop units.
Sounds like a hazard to me but, I would sure like to back it up with a Code reference.
210.25 is for dwelling units to common areas.
230.2 is for services.
Is there a rule about feeders in commercial areas ??
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Alan- the only thing that I found is in Art. 225 Sect. 225.31 & 32. I don't know if this helps you but it does convey the thought of different feeders from different sources and how to handle them. Beyond that, your on your own. See Ya in Traverse City in September.

George Little
A
Thanks George,
I guess when I can't find it then nobody can.
The idea of power from two sources in the same raceway just seems like a sure way to get someone hurt.
Alan--

Alan--
A
George,
Found the solution in section 215.5.
If the low bidder wants to mix feeders from two different services then the AHJ (me)will require compliance with 215.5 and have copies posted at each service. [Linked Image]
Alan--

Alan--
I
Just because you can does not always mean you should...

BTW are you actually the AHJ or are you an inspector, in many areas that is not the same.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
Alan you might want to talk to the power company they may not want / allow different metered power in common enclosures and raceways.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
A
Iwire,
I'm the local AHJ but, there is the right to appeal any decision I make to the local review board and / or to the State Building Commissioner.
I've had two appeals in 25 years and was supported both times.
Alan--
The Code is to promote safety and I feel that circuits from two seperate services in the same raceway is creating an unnecessary hazardous condition.
Alan--

[This message has been edited by Alan Nadon (edited 07-15-2006).]

Alan--
T
The maxim of the law is that whatever is not forbidden is lawful. The code forbids having both emergency and none emergency conductors in the same raceway. I believe it is silent on the issue of conductors from two services in the same raceway. I would agree that it is an unusual installation but if it is not forbidden by the code then you will have to hang your decision on clear and present danger. Iwire may have hit on a remedy in that the rules of your states utility regulatory agency may forbid the mingling of conductors from two different meters in the same raceway.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
I
Alan it is up to you and I am not trying to start 'stuff' with you.

The Code is to promote safety and I feel that circuits from two separate services in the same raceway is creating an unnecessary hazardous condition.

You may feel it is hazardous condition but the NEC does not, you are going out on your own here.

Using 215.5 as a form of extortion to get what you want is hardly fair to ECs that are following the NEC.

Consider this, the NEC does not prohibit conductors from optional standby systems from occupying the same raceways as utility power. Mixing conductors from separate sources is common.

If you feel it is a hazard you should put in a proposal.

Don't let the fact that you have been doing it 25 years make you forget your job is not to make code but enforce existing code.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Alan:
Re-reading your question:

One raceway to/thru roof to 'units' from two tenant meters??

Sounds like a 'design' thing. I know of no Article to prohibit this.

From the safety angle, are the terminations identified?

We (NJ) have the same basic Appeals system that you described; we also have DCA (State) people we can get interpertations from, BUT, they are that person's OPINION. The AHJ has the 'Final" decision, albeit subject to the Board of Appeals.

Usually, I try to 'work out' situations one on one, not saying it works all the time, but......

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard