ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
Can you install an off-peak (rate-of-use) service as follows:

Install a std. 100 amp main breaker panel from the main meter for the regular loads.
From the off-peak meter, run properly sized se cable to a 60 amp, 2 ckt. panel rated for minis. In this panel, install a "quad mini" with a common trip for the 2 center poles and a factory installed handle tie for the 2 outer poles. Then feed a water heater and a clothes dryer as your off-peak loads.

Space is extremely limited and I would like to replace a failed fusible disconnect with a panel of similar size, but now feed the dryer as well as the water heater.

Keep in mind that this will now require 3 "throws of the hand" in order to disconnect the service.

I appreciate opinions.

E
Redsy, Sounds like a decent plan to me.

S
Redsy,
this is the closest pix i can find of a 'quad';
[Linked Image from ais.siemens.ca]
the one's with the integral handel ties are used in mobil homes with the 12 cir cans, 30A & 20A respectively.
I don't know about your poco, but off peak here is strictly hot h2o, they really get po'ed if anything else is run off of the dedicated meter.
Besides that, it's timed ( at least here), so dryer detail would need to follow suit....
[Linked Image]

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, guys.
spark,
Our PoCo allows any number of 240 loads to be operated Off-Peak. With the new FR controlled timers they don't interrupt at all n weekends or holidays and in the winter they only interrupt for about 2 hrs., as opposed to about6-7 in the summer. Many people are willing to include their clothes dryer on this system. Also 240v. pool pumps.
The quad I've seen has a common trip on the inside 2 poles and a handle tie that spans the inside 2 and connects the outer 2.
I have reconsidered though, and may install a small 6 ckt panel instead. If I do this I will have to install a main.
Does anyone know who makes a device to secure a back-fed branch CB as required if used as a main?(Found a Seimens MBR1 to do this)

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 05-21-2002).]

H
ge makes one with a 2 pole 30 on the out side with a 2 pole 20 inside and has a handle going around the 2 pole 20 to tie the two handles of the 2 pole 30 the 2 pole 30 handles are green. and are found in many trailers. like mine :Wayne

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe

Link Copied to Clipboard