ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
At what point does the OSHA regulation stop? After the house is purchased and is now someone's home and no longer a construction site? Or what happens on a remodel? Is the portion of the house not being worked on ok to use a carpet iron without GFI protection while the carpet installer in the next room which is part of an addition must use GFI protection?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
OSHA 'stops' when someone is not being paid for the work they are doing.

What I am trying to say is that OSHA only applies to people doing a job they are employed at.

A while back OSHA was talking about coming into the homes of people who work from home, that idea was rejected.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
OSHA derives it's authority from that part of our Constitution that gives the Feds the sole power to "regulate interstate commerce."

"Interstate commerce" has been understood by our courts to include business large enough to "affect interstate commerce." How large is this? Large enough that rulings have applied the Wage & Hour Act. If I remember correctoly, that would be any business, or job, with a value of $250K in a year.

Which is why the original OSHA avt also gave the states strong incentives to create their own state "OSHA" offices. So a smaller business could very well be covered by local rules, while technically exempt from federal rules.

OK, lurking & silent till now...
Iwire has all his ducks in a row with this IMHO.

What we enforce here is:
Construction GFI required
Renovation areas, same
Additions, same
Comm, Ind, retail, resi....all treated the same

"unsafe" conditions (in AHJ's determination) require corrections. Now that includes lack of GFI, incorrect 'temp' lighting, etc.

I cannot, nor will not speak for 'others' or 'all', but that's how it's done in my areas, both as an EC and AHJ

I hear others concerns regarding the scope of the jobsites, and the other trades and their practices, but we (EC's) have to cover our butts, right???

BTW, the OSHA 'boys' can get REALLY expensive with violations! GFI's are a good investment!

John

John
Cat Servant
I find it curious, all this hair-splitting over a $10 widget.

I am also surprised at the absolute lack of interest in repairing the faulty equipment discovered through using that widget.

I can't speak for others... but if my tool was tripping the GFI, I'd get it fixed (or replaced) pronto.... no sense in waiting for smoke to leak out!

Reno:
Basically, you just said what I'm thinking, but didn't 'say' in so many words

$10 GFI vs a $$$$$ fine, what's the sense??

John

John
G
I don't think there was a question when we were talking about temporary wiring or early construction phases. I guess the real question is when it is final trim, punch out or warranty/repair work in finished buildings. Why is a contractor's drill any more dangerous than the customer's when it is used in the living room?

Greg Fretwell
I
OSHA covers any size business that has employees.

No area is actually 'exempt' from the Federal OSHA, what you can have are local rules that meet or exceed OSHA.

So at a minimum you must meet the Fed standards.

I agree with both Reno and Hotline that the price of the GFCI be it installed or in a cord set is insignificant compared to the fine.

Why is a contractor's drill any more dangerous than the customer's when it is used in the living room?

Greg I have asked that many times and I think it comes down to this.

OSHA is interested in workers safety, the statistics show workers getting electrocuted.

That being the case it is not big jump for them to simply say workers using portable tools shall have GFCI protection.

They might even want homeowners have to have the same protection as well but OSHA lacks the authority to enforce that.....Thankfully...

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
W
you install a gfi for other trades to use. Who says the GFI works correctly?? and why would want that liablity??

I
First let me say I am not trying to push these rules on anyone, I am just passing on what I was taught in OSHA classes and electrical safety classes.

you install a gfi for other trades to use. Who says the GFI works correctly?? and why would want that liability??

OSHA requires the testing that the manufacture instructs are to be performed and a log of the tests kept.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard