ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tdhorne Offline OP
I'm hoping that those of you with a better memory might be able to point me to the code section that forbids supplying a load from two different circuits. I tried a search but I didn't use the right search terms to get what I needed. I am aware of 300.3 (B) but I was hoping for something more on point. The load in question takes its ungrounded conductor from a 240 volt circuit and its grounded conductor from a 120 volt circuit. Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
Don't think you're going to find one. I've seen equipment that use 208/3 phase and a separate 120 volt circuit for the controls.

-Hal

C
What you describe is not permitted. See 210.4(A). "All conductors shall originate from the same panelbord." Although this applies to multiwire circuits I believe it to be a good rule to follow in any case.
Creighton

J
I would go so far as to say that it is fine and sometimes needed to suply equipment from multiple sources, 600v motors with 120v control as an example, or anything with mixed AC/DC.

This strikes me as more of an issue of conductor bundeling.

It is necissary to keep all of the conductors (grounded and non) in a circuit bundled to ensure a ballanced current flow, which reduces the inducatnce of the wire run, prevents stray EMF, and prevent conduit heating. That bundle should be continuous to the panel (hense originatng for the same pannel) wher it is consoldated and then continues bundled to the POCO.

I don't know the code section off hand, and bing a Canadian I'm not sure it would help. I know this has ben dicused in other threads.

To sum up all conductors on the same circuit (ie feeding the same load) must run in the same conduit (be it cabtire, romex, EMT etc.)

Hope this helps,
Jon

J
This may help, it is a thread on bundeling conductors: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000975.html

With two ciurcuts using the same grounded conductor, I am also concerned about overcurrent protection, which is normaly provided by the non-gronded conductor's protection

Tom:
Are you saying that one leg of a 240 volt circuit is 'tapped' and using the neutral of another circuit??

With all due respect to Creighton, you didn't state coming from multiple panels (sources) distinctly.

Is this a control circuit (120 volt) for a motor/machine??

Good practice would be 2 hots for 240 v; 1 hot-1 neut for 120 plus grounds as required.

As to an NEC Article?? I'll have to look tommorow; or bring this up at the Assoc. meeting Wed Nite.

John

PS: Almost forgot...I have labels stating "More then one source of power within this enclosure/equipment/cabinet"

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 06-27-2006).]

John
E
e57 Offline
An example of where it is allowed to have 2 or more can be found in 430.113. 620.52. Otherwise it can depend on the type of equipment.... Whats the example?

Either way I think its a bad idea to have a neutral from a different circuit used, as it may over-load the neutral....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
Look at 300.3(B). This section requires that all conductors of a circuit be contained in the same cable or raceway.
Using the 'hot' from a 240 volt branch circuit used for other purposes and returning on the neutral from another is bad for two reasons. One is the stray EMF you build by having the circuit conductors separated; two is the possibility of shock to some poor electrician who is trying to work on the circuit having the "pirated" neutral connection. He turns the CB "off", then checks for voltage at the receptacle box. Finding none, he proceeds to tear into the wiring, only to get caught up on the open neutral, which is carrying the return current from our "pirated" connection. Ouch!
I once got caught on the return from a 277 volt lighting circuit. Hurts for days.

Earl
I
Look at 300.3(B). This section requires that all conductors of a circuit be contained in the same cable or raceway.

Not always.

Look at 300.3(B)(3).

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
Good point!

By using the neutral from one branch circuit, with the hot from another branch circuit, you have made a multiwire branch circuit.
Section 210.4(C) requires a multiwire branch circuit to feed only line to neutral loads, unless you use a CB that open all hots.
You have a 240 volt CB with a 240 volt load and you have another 120 volt load as parts of this multiwire branch circuit. Nor are these CBs tied together.

[This message has been edited by earlydean (edited 07-01-2006).]

Earl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard