ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Howdy (my first post)!

I got a call from a guy that wants to know if I can run him a separate GEC wire to an old sub-panel (and then replace it with a new sub-panel so he can run new 110/220 grounded outlets from it).

The current panel is run off a 60A feed using old (but still good he claims) 6AWG SEU cable ran under the house. The existing sub-panel was (at one time) the main service for the house and has the old “shotgun shell” fuses with MAIN and RANGE lugs off it with 4 Edison fuses for everything else. The reason for not running all new cable is the expense (CU and AL are both obscenely priced now!!!) He can wait on this but I'm wondering if it can be done code complaint (and safe of course) with less expense. Code references appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I haven’t personally inspected this yet (and I will before I commit to it) but this guy is pretty savvy so I’ll bet his observations are pretty accurate.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Wow, talk about a coincidence. I just replaced two old fuse sub panels in a trailer, yesterday and today, same one with the range and main pull outs. They added a new main outside and then fed the subpanels. We were just discussing this lastnight in the chatroom, about running a new GEC, there were no objections to it.

[This message has been edited by LoneGunman (edited 06-08-2006).]

S
Isn't the GEC always supposed to be run to the main breaker disconnect location so that it can be bonded to the grounded conductor?

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 06-09-2006).]

L
Yeah, I shouldve said EGC.

I
Dyslexic’s untie! (er, unite).

Yes, I too mean a connector point for that little green/bare wire from the third prong in the smiley faced outlet :-).

Any code references (we want to be able to back it up in case the insurance company balks). Thanks - IN_Shorty

R
Shorty, read 300.3(B)

Roger

A
The 6/3 cable will have a stranded outer conductor that cannot become an insulated, grounded, conductor no matter how much tape you use.
If you had three insulated conductors then 300.3(B)2 would help.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
L
Dyslexic’s untie! (er, unite).

Have you heard about the agnostic who suffered from insomnia and dyslexia?

He stayed up all night pondering the existence of Dog.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 06-15-2006).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
T
OK so just for grins lets say I run Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit (smurf tube) And pull the cable back into it with an insulated conductor to serve as the replacement neutral. Is this compliant providing that the conductors are individually labeled? IF not what happens if I strip the jacket off of the cable first so that it is a wire assembly rather than cable? {Edited to add "Note that I'm also talking about individually labeled conductors in this second case."}
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Edited for spelling.

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 08-04-2006).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
G
The neutral is supposed to be run in the same cable or raceway as the other conductors. From a practical sense I can see why running it tywrapped together using a non-metalic raceway, would not cause a real problem if you used the same entry to any metal boxes but it is not code compliant.
Just put a small plastic box next to the metal one and nipple in to meet the spirit, if not the letter of the code.
Stripping the wire just strips the listing away from the cable since internal conductors are seldom labelled.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard