ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
NEC 2005, Article 450.4(A) has a confusing clause regarding autotransformer overcurrent protection:

An overcurrent device shall not be installed in series with the shunt winding (the winding common to both the input and the output circuits) of the autotransformer between Points A and B [Output taps] as shown in Figure 450.4.

What, exactly, do they mean by this? It sounds almost as though they're probihiting overcurrent protection on the output, but that makes no sense and this is directly contradicted by the table referenced earlier in the paragraph. Do people actually physically open up these transformers to break the windings so they can put a breaker in the middle, is that what they're prohibiting?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Yup, they are prohibiting an overcurrent device in the middle. If such an overcurrent device were to operate, then the output voltage would rise to the input voltage.

Since the current rating of the shunt winding is less than that of the transformer and the series winding, I can see why someone might want to put an overcurrent device in that location. This would be a case of a safety improvement in a component of a system reducing the over-all safety of the system.

-Jon

L
Steve, I doubt they're concerned with someone opening the transformer to insert a breaker. Referring to the diagram again, I believe they don't want a breaker between the bottom of the winding and point B; t should be in the line to the left of point B.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com

Link Copied to Clipboard