ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#9874 05/18/02 02:56 PM
Broom Pusher and
I was leaning towards the leaky hot water pipe / faucet idea first - since it's the most logical [per Mr. Spock! He is a Plumber, 'ya know [Linked Image]].
This is usually coupled with an almost coincidental increase in water consumption!
I headed this way due to many, many Tshoot Q's and trips concerning high KWH consumption and resulting water consumption!

If the leaky bugs are not to blame [AKA no leaks], then try "Step 2", which is to verify the T Stat is operating properly and that no one has set it to "Boil" [AKA the highest setting].
Cannibals may prefer the "Boil" setting [Linked Image] <joke>

If still a head scratcher, make sure the culprite for the increased KWH usage is indeed the water heater [so you don't tear it apart and your friend walks in and says "Oh, I forgot to mention the outside lights that stay on 24/7!"].

If all signs point to the water heater, check the elements for leaks [electrical leaks] and the correct wattage.

If all these points fail to turn up a culprite, hire an Excorsist! [Linked Image]

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#9875 05/19/02 05:45 AM
S
If all these points fail to turn up a culprite, hire an Excorsist!
LOL!
yeah, 'specially if there's any split-pea soup around.....
[Linked Image from projections-movies.com]

#9876 05/25/02 11:26 AM
C
Cindy Offline OP
he changed the thermostats and the problem went away..... solved

#9877 05/25/02 06:28 PM
S
10 points to the thermostaticly inclined posters....

#9878 05/25/02 07:46 PM
H
one thing that nobody said was that in call for heat most double element water heaters the top element is put in series with the bottom element untill the top reaches the set tempature and the it closes and puts all the power to the botem element then when this element reaches the set tempature it opens its contacts and shuts of the water heater. this is why when you look at the rating on the heater it will say the upper element 4800 watts and the lower element 4800
and the total is 4800 watts is still the same because of the two elements are only in series with each other. thus lowering the voltage to the two elements to 120 when it calls for full heat. so you have to have the top thermostat set a little higher then the lower one or it will use a lot more electric.
I have had people set the top thermostat to low and since the bottom element kept trying to heat as the water would rise to the top it would take longer to come up to tempature and also use allot more power.
But I have had some that when the top element failed it did the same thing.

:Wayne

[This message has been edited by hurk27 (edited 05-25-2002).]

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
#9879 05/27/02 07:54 AM
G
Ahhhh------ Earth calling Wayne, you might want to go back and look over those wiring diagrams

Glenn

#9880 05/27/02 05:20 PM
H
Glenn your right I did check the new tank that I now have and it is a non simultaneous type the old colman that was in there was wired so that when the top thermostat called for heat it would put both elements in series with each other but when it shut off the botom element would get full power. with this one when the top element is on it disconects the power to the bottom one. the botom element cant come on until the top goes off. didn't know there was diffrent ways they wire water heaters. I guess I can chock one for another learning experance lol
:Wayne

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard