ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98594 10/30/04 11:19 AM
The 2005 has an exception to 210.12(B) that states (I left out the metric designations and used abbreviations):

Exception: The location of the AFCI shall be permitted to be at other than the origination of the branch circuit in compliance with (a) or (b):

(a) The AFCI installed within 6 ft of the branch circuit OC device as measured along the branch circuit conductors.
(b) The circuit conductors between the branch circuit OC device and the AFCI shall be installed in a metal raceway or a cable with a metallic sheath.

This will permit leaving the panelboard with a metallic protected circuit to an AFCI receptacle and then going to the bedrooms. Considering the cost differential between GFCI circuit breakers and GFCI receptacles, I would assume that there would be that type of savings for an AFCI receptacle. If that is the case, I would also assume there could be two or three AFCI receptacles together in a ganged box just below or next to the distribution panelboard for all of the bedroom circuits (it would be really easy to drop a 1/2" EMT straight down and pull in some THHN for the receptacles). [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98595 10/30/04 05:37 PM
E
That would be true, except that the manufacturers have decided to not make any AFCI receptacles. (I heard this from John Cangemi of UL at the IAEI workshop in NY State) Even though they have submitted working units to UL for approval, the decision was made that there wasn't a large enough demand to warrant the production of mass quantities at this time.
I'm betting the decision was really based on the fact that there is a higher profit on the CB over the AFCI receptacle.

Earl
#98596 10/30/04 05:57 PM
You are correct because you can't install a circuit like this yet. The 2005 edition of the Code must be adopted before this type of installation is even permitted. Why build something and put it on the market if no one will purchase it? I assure you that they will hit the market as soon as the 2005 edition starts to be adopted in the spring. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#98597 01/23/05 05:53 AM
S
One advantage of this new exception will allow us to tap off a fuse panel and install a single circuit can with an AFCI breaker to add branch circuit wiring to a bedroom without having to change out the old fuse box alltogether. [Linked Image]

shortcircuit

Link Copied to Clipboard