ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98557 06/01/06 06:10 PM
S
I had an inspector question me about the interupt rating on a 200 amp main breaker today on a job I am finishing that another electrician started. Yes, it is a pain in the neck finishing somone elses work.

Anyway, I have a 300 amp underground feed to the meter pan, and 2 raceways out to a pair of 200 amp main breaker panels. The interupt rating on the MB is 22,000.

Is this sufficient?

Remember, I did not install the service, nor do I know enough about the formula for figuring the interupt rating. I have to assume that the rating is based on the largest ungrounded conducter from the POCO.

The AHJ also noted that he would prefer that I also strip back the insulation on all of my GEC's where they enter the panel for heat protection. Is he serious?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98558 06/01/06 07:50 PM
Shock:
AIC (fault current) is available from PSE&G. Resi should be 'fine' with a 22K breaker. Most areas are 10K, a few are 15K.

Calculation requires impedance of transformer, length/size of drop, length/size of your service conductors, for starters. "Bussman" has a fairly simple point-to-point method that works; but you have to like numbers.

I'm working on preparing a AIC course, hopefully I'll have it ready by fall/winter.

If you want further info, send me an e-mail, and I can get you the literature.

As to the 'stripped ground conductors & heat???? What Article did he cite??

John

John
#98559 06/02/06 08:59 AM
R
I have talked to some different people that I know throughout the country on this, and the consensus is that most power companies won't provide more than 10K available to dwellings, unless the dwelling unit is quite large.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#98560 06/02/06 09:38 AM
J
JBD Offline
The major POCOs, in Wisconsin have required 22K AIC rated equipment for almost 20 years now. They typically feed (4) houses from a single padmount, so they could easily exceed the 10K fault level if they buy 2%Z transformers or put in an oversized one. This is one reason they give such high "design" fault values, to prevent future problems as they upgrade their equipment.

If you need 22K rated equipment make sure the branch circuits are either fully or series rated also. Do not just look at the AIC rating of the main.

What type of heat is he expecting on the GEC?

#98561 06/02/06 05:40 PM
S
Thanks for all the replies. I never had an inspector ask me about interupt ratings for a residential service before. Thought it was a bit strange. I understand these issues become much more important when working with higher voltages so I thought I'd take the time to try and find out more.

The AHJ didn't cite any code referrence for stripping back the GEC at the enclosure. I sure as heck don't see one, that's for sure. Is the AHJ out of line for requesting this to be done in order to get a final? AND the service has already been inspected, and passed, but additional work has been done (finished bsmt) since the original inspection.

#98562 06/02/06 06:48 PM
Ryan:
Some areas here in NJ have resi 'areas' that PSE&G specs "high" AIC with the occasional 22K in mixed use neighborhoods.

JBD:
I'll offer a guess, at least 70% of resi in No. & Central is overhead, pots on poles. Newer neighborhoods are BUD.

Shock:
I'm sending you an e-mail for further info on the GEC 'heat' thing; I'm curious!!

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard