ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 546 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Tom, we are now talking about apples and oranges. There are no requirements for the installation if it is hardwired but only where a receptacle is installed do you have requirements. IF a receptacle is installed, then the homeowner is likely to replace the equipment and rules are required. You are not required to install a receptacle so nothing has changed; however, if you install a receptacle, these are the rules. I fail to see the problem with this, you have a choice. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

[This message has been edited by CharlieE (edited 10-29-2004).]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
I ws reading in the ROP, and the original proposal didn't include the requirement for an individual branch circuit. The proposal was simply to allow a cord and plug connection of a range hood, because from what I can tell under the 2002 it would be illegal. The CMP then added the five items that must also happen, such as the individual branch circuit. It was then voted on and passed 12-0.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
J
In prior editions of the NEC, you are allowed to supply an exhaust hood by means of a cord and plug provided the appliance is intended or identified to be supplied in that manner. See 400.7(A)(8).

J
Section 422.16(B)(4) is under "FLEXIBLE CORDS". It is my opinion based on the ROP and ROC, that the individual branch circuit is required only when the receptacle outlet is intended to supply a cord-and-plug connected range hood. Where the range hood is hard wired, the requirements of 210.21 and 210.23(A) are applicable. An individual branch circuit is not required unless specified in the installation instructions for the range hood.

G
They keep adding required circuits and we may have to change the "42 pole" rule. They have bigger panels in the Canada market.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard