ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98463 12/16/04 08:54 AM
M
mweaver Offline OP
I have my new analysis of changes for 2005 and it discusses ROP & ROC in the forward (I think). I thought these stood for report on Comments and Report on Proposals for the upcoming NEC.

Is there a simple & concise way to explain just what these are?

Are they available for free in pdf and would I even want them?

mweaver

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98464 12/16/04 07:59 PM
R
After the deadline passes for changes to the code, the NFPA publishes all the proposals, along with committee responses (accept, not accepted, accepted in principal, along with a few other replies). This book (ROP) is sent out to everyone who sent in a code change proposal, and is available online (on the NFPA web site, or NECdirect site, I think).

After a certain time passes, the committees meet again to consider all the comments sent in to them, concerning the proposals. Again they either vote the change in, out, or whatever. They then publish another book, with all their replies to each comment. They also include a draft of the new code, just like you would receive if you bought it that day.

Then there is a big get-together of the committees to vote in the changes, and approve the new code.

If you sent in a code change proposal, it is kind of neat to see what the committees thought of your proposal. Both books are good for reference, after the code comes into effect. You can look back at a code rule and see why it was changed. That helps in understanding what the code is saying (or not, whichever is the case!!).

You can see the deadlines for cade changes proposals, as well as the dates when the ROP and ROC will be sent out, in the back of the code book.

Note: The deadline for changes to the 2005 NEC is November 2005. Not much time to find out there may be a problem in a code rule.

I can say one thing for sure, if you do not provide back up for your argument, you will not convince them to change a code rule. Substantiate your concerns, provide examples, and you may have a chance. Just don't say something like, "I don't like blue wire being used on a 120volt circuit".

Most State chapters of the IAEI will help you in your proposals, if you send it to them 1st. The bad thing about this is then the Chapter will be the one who submits the change proposal, not you. but they will help in getting the wording in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Rick Miell

PS: The front of the code book has all the names of the committee members. Look though them, you may find someone you know on one!

#98465 12/16/04 11:49 PM
R
The ROP and ROC for the 2002 code and the ROP for the 05 code are available for download here .
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard