ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 523 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I know what the code says but I have never really been sure what it means. I have never been around an ungrounded building. I think it was the GI bill housing requirements or something but every house I saw in the DC area used <small EGC> grounded Romex, even before they had 3 prong receptacles (post war). Houses older than that were wired in BX. I have never seen K&T either.
The old buildings I saw as Fla state inspector were wired in pipe or some kind of armored cable. I thought I might see some K&T at the 1926 Ringling mansion in Sarasota but it was EMT or rigid everywhere. No galvanizing though, all black painted. There was some "new" work in BX/AC but nothing NM. All of the renovations used EMT or MC.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Greg- You've led a sheltered life ( NM cable wise), come to Michigan and I'll show you all the NM cable you can stand that doesn't have am EGC run with it. [Linked Image]

George Little
G
I was always told that a post war house needed a grounded wiring method to pass GI Bill inspection. That may not have trickled down to the hinterlands but it was true in DC. I know as late as 1971, you couldn't get a GI loan on an "aluminum" house.

Greg Fretwell
G
All right Greg- What's the "Hinterlands"?

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 05-23-2006).]

George Little
G
Outside the Beltway

hinterland
A noun
1 backwoods, back country, boondocks, hinterland

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 05-23-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
G
Okay Greg- But we do have indoor plumbing. (I owe you one Greg)

George Little
M
George, I am unable to find that particular code section in the MRC. Could you give me that number?

G
The code reference is in the 2003 MRC (Michigan Recidential Code) is on page 557. This puts in the Appendix J on Existing Buildings. I don't want anyone giving me a ration of s**t about the Appendix not being part of the code either. There is nothing in the MRC or the IRC (International Residential Code) that allows the use of GFCI protection in lieu of grounding. To my knowledge the appendix is allowable for code compliance in the State of Michigan. Of course I've been wrong before [Linked Image]

George Little
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard