ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#98171 05/11/06 08:48 AM
R
Hey guys whats everyone`s interp of 352.46 then refer to 300.4f Here`s the deal wired mobil home pvc male adapter sch 80 pvc well I failed because no bushings on the pvc male adapters.Are they required in this situation? Using 4/0 quad cable direct burial. Thanks waiting for inspector to call us now as he left no reference yesterday.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
PVC may be non-conductive, but its edges are still sharp enough to damage insulation.
I think that's the reason behind 300.5H.
BTW, I always call for metallic elbows in underground PVC runs because the rope that pulls in the conductors can grind an edge in a PVC elbow during a tough pull. I've had cables fail to each other on an U/G feeder for just that reason before I adopted that little trick.

Ghost307
R
Hey no rope here. Dug 10 ft ditch sch 80 down from box to proper depth direct burial cables to other end pvc to box slide wires in. But pvc fittings are beveled smooth and I don`t see how they can damage the wiring.

G
Did he tell you exactly what point he was concerned with? Yes, the fittings are smooth, but when you cut a piece to length, the end isn't so smooth. Is there a point where wires exit through such an opening?

G
You might be able to make a case that the burred end of a PVC pipe you cut with a chain saw could damage conductors but if this is the threaded end of a PVC male adapter, I don't see the issue. They are as smooth as the edges of a plastic bushing.
Both are mass produced injection molded plastic. The chance of a flaw in the process that leaves a rough edge is about the same for either.

Greg Fretwell
G
I am very doubtful that a PVC male adaptor provides a "smoothly rounded insulated surface" as discribed in 300.4(F) and would red tag the job without even hesitating. I'm comparing it to a female adaptor with a chase nipple or a threaded hub or boss that is an integral part of an enclousure. Sorry gentlemen.

George Little
G
OK "the code" has spoken, (we should fail it)now has anyone actually seen a conductor damaged by a PVC fitting?

Greg Fretwell
F
I hate to step in this one,,,

unforetally yes i did see few conductors got damaged by male termal adpator espcally after hard pull i did nick few of them [ugh !! ]

but the code required the bushing on the male adpator it been like that way for pretty long time i was not sure when it was enforeced.

I think it was debated before related with mobile home service hook up and kinda pretty common to get red flagged from this one if not carefull with bushing

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

R
352.46 Bushings
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.
I think that a male adapter requires a bushing based on this section.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
G
I looked at a few fittings and I agree. For some reason <Carlon> makes the edge sharper than it has to be, perhaps to sell more bushings. It would be quite easy to make the edge rounded to provide "equivilent protection"

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard