ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 525 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
mxslick,
1: The impedance of the neutrals at feeders and panel buss are (electrically) significantly lower than the #12 or #10 branch circuit wiring thus allowing any noise or harmonics to be "absorbed" (Not exactly the right word I'm wanting, but you get the idea);
Actually I don't get the idea. Harmonics are not absorbed by any conductor or the system.
2: ANY electronic load of ANY kind is far more sensitive to power quality issues than incandescant lighting or pure resistive loads like heating devices;
That is a design problem of the equipment, not a problem caused by the multiwire branch circuit.
3: Electronic dimming controls of any make or style are VERY noisy (just take a portable AM radio near any of those things and you'll see what I mean.);
And how does the use of multiple neutrals help a RF problem where the noise is transmitted through the air?
4: Most of these systems are extremely expensive and sophisticated in their control schemes and do not take kindly to noise issues on incoming power (not to mention the risks of a lifted neutral frying everything)
Again, other than the open neutral issue, that is an equipment design problem, not a neutral problem. Most of the power quality problems that effect this type of equipment are generated by this type of equipment. Why should the electrical system be changed to try to prevent problems that are caused by poor equipment design?

Do you have any technical documentation that shows problems for "sensitive" electronic equipment are caused by multiwire branch circuits?
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 06-07-2006).]

Don(resqcapt19)
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Yup, it happened again...

Yesterday, doing an institutional re-model, I killed all three circuits in the box. I then opened the neutral- and saw a spark.

The neutral measured 50 volts to ground. It was, on the "load" side, definitely hot. We later found a number of fried surge protectors. The explanation: somehow another two circuits had been tied into that neutral. When I opened the connection, the voltage on the circuits became 208.

Properly done, and maintained, sharing a neutral can be a great technique. Give time, and Mr. Murphy, a chance however, and you've got troubles.

As I've said before, we have got to start identifying our neutrals. We also have to be wary of partly trained personnel trying to take this nifty "shortcut."

Finally, contrary to popular belief, the "white" wire is quite often "hot," and you might never find the way to shut it off completely.

R
John,
As I've said before, we have got to start identifying our neutrals.
A change requiring that was approved at the proposal stage for the 2008 code.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard