ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redsy Offline OP
Is this table permitted for 3 individual USE conductors to feed an underground service to a single family home?

310.15(B)(6) mentions raceway or cable, but I'm talking about 3 copper 250 kcmil in a trench, feeding 2 150-amp panels.
This is in NJ.

Hotline?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Nope, we can use Table 310.15(B)(6) only if the conductors are installed in a raceway or cable. Sorry, you gotta use Table 310.16.

(of course, I am assuming NJ has adopted the NEC without amending this part)

What is your computed load? Are you feeding these panels through a main distribution center or a disconnect and OC device? Or, are you paralleling the panels, using a 150 amp main breaker for each panel?

Earl
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, earlydean!

It is a pair of 150-amp panels, but the computed load is less than 200-amps.
I hope to use 230.90(A) exception 3.
Also 240.4(B) seems to permit 250 kcmil copper, which has an ampacity of 255 amps @ 75 deg.C to be protected at the next standard size OCPD, which is 300 ammps.

Thoughts?

M
If these are service conductors (a service lateral), then I would say you can use it. It depends on how you parse the wording, but to me the cable or raceway restriction only applies to main power feeders. Here's the exact words (at least the first part):

For dwelling units, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors, service lateral conductors, and feeder conductors that serve as the main power feeder to a dwelling unit and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor. For application of this section, the main power feeder shall be the feeder(s) between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard(s).

[This message has been edited by markp (edited 04-27-2006).]

Mark
Kent, WA
L
It looks like the phrase "or without an equipment grounding conductor" means a 3-wire feeder need not be in a raceway or cable to useTable 310.15(B)(6).

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
REdsy:
Up this end of state, line side of meter is PSE&G jurisdiction for UG. (BUD, and they supply & install same)

IMHO, what you stated above would be acceptable, IF customer owned lateral.

Further input, give me a call on my cell anytime.

John

John
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, everyone.

Hotline,

I,m not sure why PSEG is requiring the builder to supply service lateral from pole to meter, but they are.

Thanks again.

E
Larry,

The phrase is "with or without", not "or without". It's gotta be cable or raceway.

Earl
M
If they intended the raceway or cable clause to cover all the different wire classes listed at the beginning, they should have put a comma between "dwelling unit" and "and are". Also, why would there be an equipment grounding conductor in a service lateral? That is further evidence to me that the "and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor" clause only applies to feeders and not service entrance conductors or service laterals.

Mark
Kent, WA
R
Redsy Offline OP
I have to admit that if the code writers are well versed in punctuation, markp makes a valid point. The more I read it, the more i agree with him. Of course, I'm not sure an inspector would be patient enough to discuss proper grammer.

Anyway, earlydean...

I hope I know where you were going when you asked me about the computed load. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard