ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gserve Offline OP
On a sub panel installation in a residential garage of 4 two wire branch circuits I say that the min feeder ampacity should be 60A. Based on the fact that the disconnecting means must be rated at 60 A by code. My co-worker says that it is based on the computed load and could be 40A or 50A. Please advise with code reference. Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I would be more interested in a reference for the idea that a feeder to a sub panel has to be 60a.
It would not have to be any more than the computed load as far as I know and that may easily be less than the combined breaker handle amps in the sub panel.

... but I amy owe someone an appology.

Greg Fretwell
G
I was just over at Joe's house and I saw Mike's answer to you. Are we talking about the ampacity of the feeder or the rating of the garage disconnect?

Greg Fretwell
L
In the '05 NEC - 225.39 (D)
I think this is what everyone is referring to.

G
That only refers to the interrupting rating of the disconnect, not the ampacity of the feeder.

Greg Fretwell
L
225.39 The feeder or branch-circuit disconnecting means shall have a rating not less than the load to be supplied, determined in accordance with parts 1 and 2 of article 220 for branch circuits, parts 3 or 4 of article 220 for feeders, or part 5 of article 220 for farm loads. In no case shall the rating be lower then specified in 225.39 (A)(B)(C)(D).
(A) - One circuit Installation - does not apply to this thread
(B) - two circuit Installation - Does not apply to this thread
(C) - One Family Dwelling _ Does not apply to this thread
(D) - ALL OTHERS. For all other installations( this is us) the FEEDER or branch-circuit Disconnecting means shall have a rating of NOT less than 60 amperes.

I read this as saying that the FEEDER must be at least 60 amperes because it states the FEEDER or branch-circuit DISCONNECTING means ....
Isn't the the circuit breaker in the main panel the DISCONNECTING MEANS for this FEEDER ?

G
You have to read the NEC in context. You don't simply cherry pick words out of context.
This section is titled "More than one building or other structure" and 225.39 is titled "rating of disconnect" (in that other building) so it does not refer to the breaker in the main building (see "location" in 225.32) or the ampacity of the feeder, only the disconnect in the "other" building. They just want to insure that you can safely disconnect the "other" building, under load, at that building if you need to.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 04-07-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
G
One could also be using a 60a. fuse type disconnect and install smaller wires and fuses in said disconnect at the house.

George Little
G
George, I suppose I would have to hold my nose and approve one of those 60 a "pull out only" disconnects you see in HVAC units but I don't think I would actually want to pull one under load without PPE.

Greg Fretwell
G
Yeah, Greg, I'd agree with you on the "hold my nose". I've been an inspector for 20 years and a contractor prior to that for 12 years. One of the toughest things I had to adjust to was that everyone has a different level of professionalism and some of them are not at the same level as I am but they still meet minimum code. Of course there are those who are really perfectionist and they exceed code by a wide margin making the inspectors job easier.

George Little
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard