ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#998 04/23/01 04:03 PM
S
Scott; i'll second that for a new installation, but for the thread.....

Redsy;
if there is an existing receptacle that is non-gfi in a light fixture or med-cab then is the AHJ's concern with load on old circuits or GFI protection?

I point this out because a GFI breaker
( assuming breakers) may equal a cut in GFI T&M wise. There is the possibility of the AFCI/GFCI combo also

Better protected in the dark than energized in the light? dunno.....

Bill, is that a strong fence???
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#999 04/23/01 08:50 PM
Sparky,

It better be a strong Fence!!

It would be better to cut in a Receptacle on the Circuit I think because the Fixture wires are usually pretty small.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#1000 04/24/01 06:59 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Sparky,

Tha AHJ concern is GFCI protection, not loading. Remember that this is a safety inspection for a real estate transfer. They also insist on installing a ground rod if none exists, and all current GFCI location requirements. Not a bad idea, in all. However I cringe to think about them getting involved in proper design, retro-actively!! As far as GFI breaker, I agree, but, interestingly enough, the most recent job involved a (here we go) Federal Pacific panel that was about 45 years old. This was overlooked until I recommended replacement. So much for Twp. AHJ.

#1001 04/29/01 05:19 PM
N
I know I'm new to the forum, but I will stick in my two cents as well.
I am a service electrician and forman in Colorado Springs, colorado. Home inspectors are the norm, and are usually paid by the perspective buyer or the buyers agent. When they call me to come do the repairs that the inspector caught,I am liable (leagaly) to tell the buyer, the seller, and the inspector of any additional things that I see that are EXTREEM hazards.
If I am called in to add a GFCI recept. in the bathroom, I do what I feel the situation requires, and usually that meens going back to the panel.... BUT if I open the panel and find that there are multiple violations I'm required to stop work and inform them that a service upgrade will be required.
After that, I report to the building dept. on what I have done or found. If I install something I am LEAGALY responsible, therefor I do everything in a manner that I can sleep at night !

Jon Niemeyer
#1002 04/29/01 06:17 PM
S
Hi nj, welcome !
i gotta say i'm a tad jealous that you have an AHJ to fall back on.
we gotta have a 5-alarmer here to gain one's attention, to make a long story short, there's nothing like an AHJ ( i mean a real one, not sudo-home-inspector-gadget-fool) to make the call !
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard