ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
I require my employees to install all recepts by hand. Common screwdriver and strippers only... No sidecutters allowed, no cordless drills (I do let them use a drill to mount device in box). What do you allow your help to do? Using cordless drills to wire a device scares me a bit even if it is faster.

My Humble Opinion:

Install 'em by hand and use a flat blade for torquing the terminals... Guess we're really suppose to use a torque-screwdriver...

Personally, I can't get a screw as tight with a phillips head, give me a straight slot or a square tip any day...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
M
'66 and arsegee:
I am with you no power tools to install receptacles.
Yes we are suppose to torque the screws on receptalces, since getting my new Klein Torque screw driver, and the the required torque for a receptacle is 9-12 in-#, this is according to Hubbel, I have realized how much we have a tendency to overtorque everything. I usually set the driver at 12 in-# and it dont take much to 'Snap-it' and your done it holds it snug but not overly tite.
-Mark-

P
I wouldn't even have thought about using a power screwdriver to wire up devices.

I like to feel how tight the connections are for my own peace of mind.

M
I have carpel tunnel so my wrists hurt very bad when I'm installing devices all day. Sometimes to the point where I can't hold a tool.

I started using a Milwaukee cordless screwdriver a few years ago to tighten terminal screws and mounting screws on devices and have had no problems.

When the screw driver tightens down I simply give it one more twist while I'm still holding the trigger. I can judge weather or not the screw is tight.

I have seen some apprentices using a cordless drill to tighten terminal screws on devices and I stop them immediatly. My fear here is overtightning and cracking or damaging the device.

J
Myself, I use a cheap black and decker cordless screwdriver. They sell them at home depot for $19.99. You can really get a good feeling at how much torque you are using with it. Not to mention in speeds up the installation process by 40-50%. As for a helpper. Well let him practice on some junk recep's untill he gets the feel for it. Then I would let them use it. But as for a cordless drill. I would never use it, too past and you do not feel how much torque is being applied.

James

I have noticed that my DeWalt 14.4V is a tool, where my Milwaukee 18V is more of a precise instrument as far as judgement of torque and slow speed "placement" of the tip...

Milwaukee also gives torque specs for each of the clutch settings, but I've seem to have buried the book in a mound of papers somewhere...

It would definitely require practice and a good "feel" to do it right.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-14-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
CRW Offline
I missed something on the first post. What are the side-cutters for, WRT installing the receptacle--and then why can't they use them? Yeah I would think the screw driver and stripper would be enough.

A
CRW, through the years I have seen so many guys that strip their wires with their pliers and make the loop. One of the old timers I worked for use to rag me about using strippers. One time I pulled apart some of his work and showed how he was slightly nicking the conductor and thus lowering the ampacity. He never said another word about it but he still uses his sidecutters to strip with.

arseegee,

The old timer you talk about may also have been responsible for a number of broken Aluminum wires with his "technique"

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard