ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#97612 03/07/06 06:35 PM
F
"Triplex" or "Quadriplex" are generic terms to describe a wire assembly of 3 or 4 conductors. Underground Triplex or Quadriplex are called URD around here and all of the conductors are insulated and listed for direct burial. Overhead tri/quad plex has an uninsulated grounded conductor and is called ACSR which stands for Aluminum Cable Steel Reinforced and is not listed for direct burial. I didn't realize URD was a regional term. I believe the correct term for the insulation type which is listed for direct burial is USE.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#97613 03/07/06 06:46 PM
E
I always thought URD insulation was similiar to USE. If so, be careful, as USE conductors cannot be installed indoors, as the insulation will emit toxic fumes.

Earl
#97614 03/07/06 08:37 PM
R
XtheEdgeX,
The UL statement is in conflict with the CMPs published statements in the ROPs and ROCs on this issue. Also if the gutter space in a panel is not listed as a "wireway" there is no way to make the connections to the OCPDs.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#97615 03/08/06 10:28 AM
X
George Little - Although I don't think splicing is allowed in a panelboard, that is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about using a panel as a junction box and pulling a feeder through it to get to another panel. And FYI, there are lots of items on the market that are UL listed for splicing.
resqcapt19 - C'mon. You're just picking apart my reply now. Of course the panel is a wireway for the OCPD's. But not for wiring to go through the panel to get to another.
I think we just have a few here trying to defend this because they do this. I also think it's pretty lousy workmanship to pull wire through a panel like it's a junction box, and to splice wire in panels, instead of laying the job out correctly to avoid this.

[This message has been edited by XtheEdgeX (edited 03-08-2006).]

#97616 03/08/06 02:42 PM
R
XtheEdgeX,
C'mon. You're just picking apart my reply now. Of course the panel is a wireway for the OCPD's. But not for wiring to go through the panel to get to another.
I am picking apart your reply because it is in conflict with the published statements of CMP 9. The code making panel clearly intends that you can use the panel wireway for external conductors. If it is a wireway for the panel conductors, it is a wireway for all condcutors up to the fill requirements in the code section.
I think we just have a few here trying to defend this because they do this.
No, I don't do this, but it is permitted by the code.
I also think it's pretty lousy workmanship to pull wire through a panel like it's a junction box, and to splice wire in panels, instead of laying the job out correctly to avoid this.
I agree that it is poor workmanship, but again, it is code complaint.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard