ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97334 02/17/06 07:30 PM
D
I have a new customer that has a large warehouse, import/export business.

I came to find out they have a ungrounded 480V system, with an switchgear, with indicator lights.

I don't know what the prior occupants were, nor what they manufactured, but right now, it is a warehouse...some offices and lights..

So does this system stay grandfathered, or would it be best to change it to a grounded system?

Dnk...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#97335 02/17/06 11:02 PM
W
IMHO, this is not an issue of 'grandfathering'; 480V ungrounded deltas can be compliant with current code.

The questions are:

Does it offer benefit that outweighs the risks?

If the ground detector lights indicate a problem, is there someone keeping an eye on things?

How expensive would it be to retrofit a grounded service?

IMHO if they don't need the continuity of service benefits of an ungrounded system, and if they aren't _required_ to have an ungrounded system (eg cranes over combustible materials), then I'd push for a grounded system.

-Jon

#97336 02/19/06 11:50 PM
T
Consider installing a zigzag xfrmr to establish a referrence neutral and dropping in a GFCI MAIN breaker.

Delta pretty much requires a knowledgeable player on site to jump on faults. Since this occupant is not a manufacturer there is scant chance of that.

However if the customer is using 480 solely for lighting and A/C they probably won't bite.

The danger is if their maintenance man plays with the high bays and screws up. The significance of the indicator lights has to be driven home. I'd wire in an alarm contact on each branch of the indicators: stop working on the system -- call electrician immediately.

Tesla
#97337 02/20/06 09:40 AM
W
Is there some reasonably inexpensive way to make the ground indicator lights _much_ more annoying, eg with a bell, or wired to a shunt trip on the main?

Prior to adding the expense of adding a transformer, how well would the system tolerate being corner grounded?

-Jon

#97338 02/20/06 03:32 PM
S
For a good article on corner grounded systems see this data bulletin by SQ-D:

Corner-Grounded Delta (Grounded B Phase) Systems
Class 2700
Publication # 2700DB0202

I'm assuming this is utility supplied. Will the utility convert their XFMR to a Grounded B-Phase??? If not, that's that. I'm guessing they would push to supply you with a wye system. They might want to get rid of their old ungrounded delta systems. Maybe offer some incentives??

Converting to corner grounded could be more trouble than it's worth.
Are there any fuses in B-Phase (other than overload for motors)??? They all have to come out. Breakers need to replace them or single phase fusible equip. Your local inspector "MAY" let you slug the fuses.
Higher than normal fault currents on first grounded fault.
You need a main bonding jumper in the service.
All B Phase conductors now need to be identified as white.

The offices and lights probably operate off a grounded systems via XFMRs so no problem. Is any equipment supplied directly from the ungrounded system??
That's what you need to look at.

Good Luck and please post an update.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
#97339 02/20/06 04:45 PM
R
Breakers need to replace them or single phase fusible equip. Your local inspector "MAY" let you slug the fuses.
They make dummy fuses for this purpose. (scroll down to see the dummy fuse)
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard