ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9726 05/10/02 09:26 PM
I know we've touched on this a number of times before, but I'm trying to get a more thorough picture of who the AHJs/Inspectors are and other details. Are they Private Agents/Agencies, PT, FT, Town Employees, State Employees, Fire Marshals. ?? Do you call them to schedule appointments when ready or do they act under someone else's direction and control, maybe tied to permits, etc. ?? Do you have a choice of who to call?

Do you have opportunity for any personal contact with him? I mean, Can you call him directly to ask a question?

Thanks for any comments.

Bill

Bill
#9727 05/10/02 09:51 PM
R
Ron Offline
Rockland County, NY
Third party Electrical Inspector/Underwriter
Is called directly for appointments and questions.

Ron
#9728 05/10/02 09:55 PM
E
I live in Metro Atlanta and currently have permits pulled in 7 jurisdictions, each having it's own rules. I have to pull a permit and then when the work is complete some counties have you call an automated system, others have you call the inspector between 7:30 and 8:30, others have you call between 8 and 9. It can really get confusing trying to keep it straight.

#9729 05/10/02 11:14 PM
Ron,

That sounds like what we have 'Downstate' too (Long Island)

Electric Eagle,

Who are the Inspectors employed by?
What is your opinion of the system where you are? Do you get to know these people at all?

Bill

Bill
#9730 05/10/02 11:39 PM
S
We pull a permit then call in for inspection when it's ready. The inspector is an city employee who inspects all day. Normally if we call before 3:00 pm, he will get it that day. I'm in Arkansas.

#9731 05/11/02 12:08 AM
For the Allegheny Power required inspections, Private Inspectors IAEI certified, all are Electrical Contractors and all but one work for an Agency for inspections. The one that doesn't may not fully understand the liability insurance costs involved.

Personal contact is the only way to get in touch with these guys, and all are quite willing to answer any questions. (Although most of my Q's get a blank stare and an "I don't know..."). One inspector has been known to ask me for advice...

For the city of Lewisburg, a building inspector does both rough and final inspections and permits and city licenses are required. He's adamant on CABO smoke detector rules, but a little ignorant in actual NEC.

One Inspector will only inspect Electrical Contractors that he knows, DIY's and Grandfathered EC's need not apply.

All the EI's are begging me to get my IAEI ticket too...

On a side note, the county permits that used to be required are now a grey area, seems to be illegal to charge a building permit fee without providing some sort of inspection service. Seems this will go the route of eliminating the permits rather than requiring inspections. Too bad.

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#9732 05/11/02 02:08 AM
Virgil,

How does that 1 guy that's not part of an Agency get permitted to do Electrical Inspections if he is not aware of Insurance costs involved? Don't they have to have like a Gazillion $$ worth of Insurance to be approved by the State or County or whoever to perform Electrical Inspections??

Bill

Bill
#9733 05/11/02 03:13 AM
I've only used him once, and he gave the most thorough inspection of them all, I was impressed, but he has to travel many miles and it was just more convenient to use him that day. He was the inspector that I mentioned in this thread many moons ago...

He's apparently under the mistaken impression that his Electrical Contractor's Liability covers him. I'm sure he's very wrong in that assumption, however.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-11-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#9734 05/11/02 06:20 AM
S
We've state inspectors here in VT. They are booked up solid, and may view your work up to a year later, at which point it may be hard to recall what you did....

Each inspector has his/her turf, as the state is cut up into sections for them....

They are approachable, will answer Q's & do plan reviews.

I did a school last yr, and received notice that it would not be inspected due to my bieng 'low priority'. I guess i should be flattered??

#9735 05/11/02 08:50 AM
Tom Offline
'66,

The only "required" insurance is what Allegheny Energy requires & that is only 1 or 2 million in general lliability and about the same for PL/PD for the vehicle.

The important insurance is "Errors and Omissions" and it is terribly expensive. I looked into about 2 years ago. I'd basically be doing my first 100 inspections to pay for the insurance. Since I only have time for 150 to 200 inspections a year, I can't afford it.

BTW, thanks to our legislature, I'm now going to have to buy a state license (read that as a tax) in order to continue doing inspections. It will probably be 6 months to a year before it is implemented.

As for inspections at this end of the Mountain State, larger towns have their own inspectors, usually multi-hats, most of which are very weak on the NEC.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 05-11-2002).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard