ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97263 02/10/06 07:59 PM
G
What code would apply for a set of stairs on the exterior going to the second floor of a two family home? What would the artificial illumination requirements be? Along those same lines, if this set of stairs were to be on the exterior of a single family home where the stairs go into the basement? How about a set of stairs inside the attached garage where you have 6 risers to enter the house from the garage? Any 3-ways required?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
If your state or city has adopted the 2003 IRC:

"R303.6 Stairway illumination. All interior and exterior stairways shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light
source located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. For interior stairs the artificial light sources shall be capable of illuminating treads and landings to levels not less than 1 foot-candles (11 lux) measured at the center of treads and landings. Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways providing access to a basement from the outside grade level shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the bottom landing of the stairway.
Exception: An artificial light source is not required at the top and bottom landing, provided an artificial light source is located directly over each stairway section."

and:

"R303.6.1 Light activation. The control for activation of the required interior stairway lighting shall be accessible at the top and bottom of each stairway without traversing any steps. The illumination of exterior stairways shall be controlled from inside the dwelling unit.
Exception: Lights that are continuously illuminated or automatically controlled."

Earl
G
Thanks earlydean, I needed that info because I couldn't find anything in the NEC. We are on the MRC here in Michigan, which is just the IRC with the Michigan spin on it.

George Little
E
e57 Offline
210-70?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard