ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97196 02/01/06 12:55 AM
J
Can you place outlets other than the bed room (say hall outlets) on the bed room arc fault circuit?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Sure. In 2008 you might be putting everything on AFCIs.

Greg Fretwell
R
I doubt that the 2008 will expand AFCI's. I guess you never know, but I have heard that panel 2 is sort of putting the breaks on AFCI expansion.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
T
Ryan, would you mind expanding on your response.

I'm getting the feeling with the non-adoption of AFCIs in New Jersey & Michigan that AFCIs aren't doing what they were designed for or promoted for.

Dave

R
Dave, I'll be honest with you, I don't remember who I heard that from. What I heard is that 210.12 probably won't change. We wnon't really know what panel 2's thoughts are until the ROP is published.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
This is from the ROC for the 2005 cycle, on a comment to expand AFCI's to all living areas:

Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The panel appreciates the level of protection provided
by branch/feeder AFCIʼs. However, the panel wants to see the combination
protection implemented before expansion beyond bedrooms. The submitter
has provided comprehensive fire data; however, Panel 2, seeks to gain further
information on the experience with the devices already in the field.

Number Eligible to Vote: 13
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 9 Negative: 4
Explanation of Negative:
KING: This Comment should

Notice, however, that the vote wasn't a landslide by any means.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
G
Correction Tiger- AFCI's are currently required in Michigan and are included for proposed adoption for the '05 code.

George Little
New Jersey update....'05 NEC to be adopted 'almost any day now. AFCI decision forthcoming upon adoption of '05 NEC. Oh, well.

John

John
D
Correction Tiger- AFCI's are currently required in Michigan and are included for proposed adoption for the '05 code.

George, it is my understanding that MI is not going to adopt the 2005 NEC. I thought the plan was to rewrite it to suit what they consider their requirements should be.

Actually I don't know why they are changing their method in terms of Electrical Code.

If I understand things correctly, they will be trying to make some things a bit clearer, and modifying a few things like ground wire in flex conduits, but will be doing the same as always. Except they'll be calling in the "MEC"? Michigan Electrical Code.

G
The MEC (Michigan Electrical Code) will be updated within the next 11 months (as proposed). the MEC consist of a rule book called the Part 8 Rules. Part 8 Rules contain permit requirements and code requirements. Also in Part 8 Rules is the reference that directs us to the NEC for all wiring that is not covered by the MRC ( the MRC is the IRC with the Michigan spin on it).

The Part 8 Rules have amendments that are to be used instead of the rules in the NEC. As proposed, the State of Michigan will be asking for
1. An EGC in all flexible raceways.
2. No limitation on NM cable with regards to construction types or building heights.
3. Not allowing Service Entrance conductors to be run to a second building on the residential property.
4. Deleted Article 547 from the NEC since the Agricultural Buildings are exempt from inspections in Michigan (don't ask)

These proposed rules have not gone to public hearing yet but soon.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 02-17-2006).]

George Little

Link Copied to Clipboard