ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
According to this table for receptacle ratings can you run a 20 amp circuit and use 15 amp rated receptacles on it? It says...
ciruit rating 20 = receptacle rating 15 or 20. Am I looking at this right or do I have to use 20 amp receptacles?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
As long as there is more than one receptacle on the circuit, a 15 amp receptacle can be installed on a 20-amp circuit. Remember that a duplex receptacle is 2 receptacles. Therefore, a 15-amp duplex can be installed on a 20-amp ckt.

The Heading For this Table Is

"Maximum Cord-and-Plug Connected Load to Receptacle"

After I Looked it Up I was left wondering about it also. The Max for a 15A Recep. is 12 amps. Am I In Violation if I plug in Something that Draws 13 amps into a 15A Recpt? Like my Vaccume Cleaner, It says 13 amps in big bold letters right on the front of it.

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
G
That should be controlled by the NRTL that listed it. If it was really a 13a load it should have a 5-20 plug ... but that is far from certain. I have a U/L listed 1650w smoker with a 5-15 plug.
It has tripped breakers and burned up plenty of cheap receptacles before I inherited it.
I use it on a dedicated spec grade 5-20 with no problems.

Greg Fretwell
R
Guys,

The inquiry is to Table 210.21(B)(3), not 210.21(B)(2)

K
REDSY,
So I can install 15 amp receptacles on my new 20 amp branch circuit? Thanks for the reply by the way. Also, maybe someone knows the answer to this question. In a room additon I'm working on one whole 8 foot wall is going to be cabinets surrounding a window. Am I still required to install a receptacles somewhere in the cabinets to keep with the dwelling unit every 6 feet rule? Thanks

S
What is the "every 6' rule"?

I hope you mean every 12' rule.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
K
No, according to 210.52(A)(1), "receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more that 6 ft from a receptacle outlet". I understand you are talking about installing them 12 feet apart so there is only 6 feet to the middle. But what do you do when one whole wall is taken up with cabinets?

S
Ask your AHJ. If they consider cabinets to be like a closet then no you would not have to. But I can not picture your exact situation. The AHJ should be asking if the cabinets are permenant, floor to ceiling, or if any counter space. Then they would interpret things as best they can.

Consider the use of the cabinets and their design, you may want them anyway. I would recommend installing at least per wall requirement just because it is handy. When I installed my permenent library shelves, I installed receptacles accessible within them and I have found myself using them on occasion.

Shane

G
Shane that is the real question. Is a receptacle inside a cabinet considered one of the 210.52(A)(1) receptacles?
I would say yes. An entertainment center that runs the length of the wall is a good example.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard