ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Electrical panels are prohibited in clothes closets. In commercial construction, it is very common to have panels located in an "Electrical Room." Presumably, one can also have an Electrical Room in a residence, even if it's rarely done because home builders will find a cheaper way to do it. Other than the obvious difference that a closet has shelves and clothes bars, how does an AHJ who is reviewing residential plans for permits distinguish between an electrical room and a closet with a panel? Is it just the label on the plans, or is there more to it than this?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
It come down to what it is designated on the plans.

How come you can turn an Elec Rm into a closet (fill it full of junk)but not a closet into an Elec Rm.

S
Because you don't need a permit to install junk?

steve

Steve
S
Doesn't a electrical room have fire rated doors and walls? I know the closet in my house doesn't.

G
I write "not a clothes closet" on the plans for any closet that a panel or subpanel may be placed in.

E
A closet with a panel WILL be filled with junk. An electrical room that can only be used for electrical is only deep enough for the panel.
Residential inspectors know this, but they cannot really enforce the clear space rules. It is a Bill of Rights right to protection from unreasonable search by any governmental agency, which includes the local building official.

Until George W. Bush takes away all our rights to privacy, there will be junk stored in front of electrical panels. [Linked Image]

Earl
Cat Servant
A young boy once asked a game warden "When do Deer become Elk?" His answer was "The first day of Deer season."

So when does an electric room become a clothes closet? As soon as the inspector leaves...

S
GWB knows whats in my closet?

D
Earlydean, leave the politics out of it.

Voice your political views else where pls.

It get's old...........

Dnk......

T
In this area the determination seems to be the plans, and if there is a rod for hangers.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard