ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96628 12/13/05 10:43 PM
G
I had a discussion with someone at our IAEI meeting last week and I wonder what this group thinks about this issue:

If we have a 15 foot long straight kitchen counter that is 24" deep and there is a wall at each end, do we start measuring from the corner and have our first plug not more than 24'' from the corner? Or Do we start measuring at the front of the counter and have a plug on what would be the end wall of the counter and thus have a plug about 36" ± from the corner?

My understanding is that we measure from the corner.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
George,
I'd say you start measuring from the rear corner and go horizontally accross the wall at the rear of the counter. And you must be no more than 2 ft. from an outlet measured along the wall line which means 4 ft. oc max. So a spot in the center of 2 receptacles that are 4 ft. apart measured at the front edge of the counter is the same distance to a receptacle as the front corner of the counter if the first receptacle is 2 ft. away from the rear corner. Clear as mud, right?

G
My first thought was that you measure down the back wall from the corner but 210.52 says "Wall Counter Space".
I can easily see they could mean the end wall was the start of the wall counter space, defined by measuring the counter/wall joint and you need receptacles in both end walls.
If the first outlet was somewhere out about a foot from the corner you would still be able to run most appliances as front to the front edge as would be practical.

"Mr Pythagoras, please pick up the red courtesy phone"

Greg Fretwell
G
Greg I like your sense of humor. Now, if a receptacle placed on the wall over the counter is expected to cover the depth of a 24 inch counter and the distance between the receptacles is max of 48 inches it appears to me that placing a receptacle 24" from the corner along the long dimension of a 24 inch deep counter top complies with code. I would not think a receptacle would be required on the 24 inch depth of the counter.

George Little
G
If the intent is that you can use an appliance with a 24" cord anywhere along the counter, within a reasonable closeness to the front edge you will have a ~12" "dead zone" on the front corners if you measure 24" along ther back wall. Would it really bother anyone? I guess only if they wanted their toaster or food processor in the front corner.

Greg Fretwell
G
Okay greg- I'm taken the gloves off. Using the "dead zone" definition you discribed, and you are correct, but you have the same "dead zone across the front of the counter if the plugs are 48" apart because the 24" radius arc of the cord length gives you the dead zone. I feel much better now and I'm smiling again. [Linked Image]

(edit for typo)

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 12-14-2005).]

George Little
G
George Little ---

I agree with you.

G
Having a wife, I would point out "wall space" is different than some spot along the counter edge but I can see your point.

Greg Fretwell
Hmmm......an interesting interpertation of geometry. I start in the corner at the 'backsplash area'.

I'm seeing more and more of 2 circuit, 6" o/c plugmold in the McKitchens. 6" above countertop, flush within the backsplash.
(Corian, granite, etc., all expensive, all tastefully installed)

BTW, 'McKitchen' is the $$$$$$ kitchen in the famous New Jersey McMansions. No legal connection with the hamburger chain with the 'golden arches'.

On a serious note...I start in the corner.

John

John
J
I'd go with the cutting edge solution. Calculate from the corner. Then, using a scroller saw with a <2 foot cord, cut the counter edge, as defined by the new outlets. I think the scalloped counter, with the sink/waterfall at its center, will make all the magazines.
Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard