ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
triple Offline OP
The NEC has requirements for the jacket color (if covered) of equipment grounds. However, I can't find any such requirements for bond or grounding electrode conductors. What code reference would keep me from using a pink colored #6 Cu Thhn as a grounding electrode conductor to the water pipe (within 5' of its entrance to 100A serviced home) and then to bond around the water meter with a yellow wire of the same size?

BTW, I used #6 in my example instead of the minimum #8 since it can be run without any protection. I just wanted to state this so that there was no confusion.

[This message has been edited by triple (edited 12-07-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Triple, there is nothing prohibiting this as far as the NEC is concerned.

Roger

T
triple Offline OP
Thank you Roger for your response.

I'd like to take this question one step further. Obviously I could not use white or gray in the above example since those colors are reserved for the grounded conductor. However, green wire (or black taped green) is often used for the grounding electrode conductor and/or bonding wires. Is this actually NEC compliant? Isn't green technically a color reserved for the equipment ground?

R
The code did not restrict the use of green for other purposes prior to the 2005 code. In the 2005 code the use of green is restricted to "grounding conductors". That will permits using green for GECs.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Triple:
IMHO, 'green' or grn w/yellow stripe is the designated color for EGC, as well as bare.

As to using any of the above for the bond, I do not know of any NEC Article that would prevent it.

John

John
G
I have looked at lots of GECs, they called me the grounding inspector. Green tape over black THHN is the norm if it was insulated at all. That pretty much means it could be any color with green tape. I even think it could be white by the definition of "grounded conductor"
Grounded Conductor. A system or circuit conductor that is intentionally grounded.
but the confusion factor would have me asking for a penny's worth of green tape. [Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
A
I made a proposal to the 2005 Code that the GEC be identified in panels and switchboards to reduce confusion.
It was rejected.
Most electricians do this as a good work practice but, it is not required by the Code.
On inspections I "recommend" that the GEC be identified, and usually it is but I can't require it.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Broom Pusher and
Remember the thread we had going a few years back, regarding the color of the GEC?

It was a very informative thread!

Let me do a search for it, and insert a link.

Scott 35.

----------

[Linked Image] ***UPDATE*** [Linked Image]

Found the thread - it's a "Two-Page'r"!

Color Code For GEC in a Main Service Panel
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000956.html

Scott35

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 12-10-2005).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
E
made a proposal to the 2005 Code that the GEC be identified in panels and switchboards to reduce confusion.
It was rejected.

As it shoukd have been. Who exactly was confused?

E
I have looked at lots of GECs, they called me the grounding inspector. Green tape over black THHN is the norm if it was insulated at all.
I bet that's not all they called you. What is your basis for requiring this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard