ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#96511 12/28/05 03:50 PM
A
You can argue either way:
A GFCI is a switch
It disconnects the power - but then so does partially unscrewing a light bulb (8' up)

A GFCI is not a switch
It is not intended to be used as a regular means of connection and isolation (can not easily determine if power is connected or isolated based on the physical status of the switch (buttons)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#96512 12/28/05 04:34 PM
W
Reading the same line that iwire was reading:

404.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article shall apply to all switches, switching devices, and circuit breakers where used as switches.

Make it pretty clear to me that 404.1 does _not_ apply to all devices which may possibly be used as switches.

In particular, the scope calls out 'circuit breakers were used as switches'. While a circuit breaker is clearly mechanically a switch, 404.1 only applies if the circuit breaker is used in a switching application.

I believe that the same point could be made for a GFCI. If it is used in an application to turn loads on and off, then IMHO it is a switch and 404 applies. If, on the other hand, it is used as a circuit protection device, then IMHO 404 does not apply.

If 404.1 applies to anything that could be used as a switch, then it applies to plugs, receptacles, and screw shell lamp holders, among other 'non-switch' devices.

-Jon

#96513 12/28/05 05:02 PM
G
Winnie - I follow your logic to a point. But when a GFCI device says "Switch" on the device, It's a switch period. It's only when CB's are used as switches that 404 applies. Circuit breakers do not say switch on them. Receptacles do not say switch on them. Bulb holders do not say switch on them. Neither bulb holders or receptacles are switches.

George Little
#96514 12/28/05 07:17 PM
OK, again I have to agree with Bob; I vote for the GFI being accessable, without having to remove an 'access panel' or using a ladder.

As to the jacuzzi tub, a single receptacle is installed under the tub, as it is a dedicated circuit, and a faceless gfi device is installed on a wall. Tubs with pump & heater, get two single recepts & two faceless
That is how it's done, and approved.

John

PS: Let me throw in the P&S combo device, gfi single recept and a sp switch on 1 yoke.
Anybody seen/use them??

BTW, after 4 years of AHJ in one town, I think I finally know all the locations for the GFI's, based on what EC wired the house.

John
#96515 12/28/05 08:24 PM
H
Since we are all taking sides, I want to play on Winnie's team. I agree that 404.1 says: "circuit breakers used as switches". This in itself recognizes that a circuit breaker serves a different function (overcurrent and fault protection)unless it is installed for use as a switch. A GFI serves a different function (ground fault protection) unless it were installed to serve as a switch. I find it hard to believe that a GFI mounted in a soffit was intended for use as a switch.

And as HotLine 1 points out, P&S makes a combo unit: a GFI with a switch on the same yoke. If a GFI is a switch, then why do they make the combo unit with a switch attached?

#96516 12/28/05 09:15 PM
Before I help start a firefight.....
I'm under the inpression that the P&S device is mainly intended to replace a switch/recept combo in 'old work', I can say I have not seen one installed.

Reason I brought one into the office was to do a 'show & tell'. One EC thought about wiring the switch to control the recept, and use it for the jacuzzi. (Hmmmm??)..

John

John
#96517 12/29/05 07:49 AM
W
I'm not going to 'take sides' on this one in the sense of 'this is the correct answer'. I was trying to make a point along the lines of iwire's approach of 'this is a reasonable read of the code, go read it yourself' [Linked Image]

Frankly I would _prefer_ an AHJ to be able to pull article 404 out and be able to say 'put that GFCI somewhere where a human can actually use it'.

If we presume that a GFCI is a switch, I believe that it is still reasonable to install a GFCI under the soffit or other high up location, under 404.8(A)Exception 3. Basically a high up, out of the way GFCI feeding equipment that is high up and out of the way is as reasonable as an inaccessible switch next to a bit of inaccessible equipment.

Under this interpretation, this same GFCI feeding downstream grade level receptacles would be a violation. The original post was about a pretty ugly design; GFCI that requires a ladder to get to, feeding receptacles at grade level. Given extension cords and wet, these GFCIs are likely to trip frequently.

-Jon

#96518 12/29/05 10:15 PM
H
OK, I'm moving from Winnie's team to free-agent status. But I believe in the original post if the GFI were mounted in the soffit, it was not intended for use as a switch...actually, I'm not real sure what it would be intended for, but I'd guess maybe Xmas lights along the edge of the roof, making the use a receptacle.

#96519 12/30/05 12:27 AM
G
The GFCI was mounted in the soffit because that was where he transitioned from the interior wiring method to plastic raceway. From there it went to a remote building with outlets at grade.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard