ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
I wouldn't call it a splice either, but I think there may be some other issues. If each (or just one) wire from the panel to the pipe is sized per 250.66, then I see no problem. However, if these are GEC taps and a full size GEC was not run to the pipe, then I don't know if that meets the requirements of 250.64(D).

I see that the first 5' of a pipe can be an electrode, and used to bond other electrodes, but can that pipe be the full sized GEC itself and small taps from from it to panels?

Personally, I don't see why it can't be done this way, but I'm not sure this is permissible based on the definition of GEC. But running a short stub of #2 or 1/0 from that pipe and split bolting taps to it seems like a worse implementation.

Mark
Kent, WA
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
George:

First question I have is when did the utility start supplying a 400 Ampere meter enclosure? Second, are the lugs in the meter enclosure rated for more than 1 conductor? Based on the reply to these questions I think that the bonding requirements of 250-66 should be based on the 400 Ampere service as supplied by the utility. Expand on this and imagine 6 main breaker panels and a fire pump installed on this service. Knowing you I surely would not want to be the inspection after that one.

F
Paul, What most sparkys call a 400A meterbase is what the PoCo calls a 320A self-contained meter base. They are usually provided with studs for mounting double barrel lugs to feed (2) 200A loadcenters w parrallel 2/0 CU or 4/0 AL but I have seen them with single 600kcmil lugs and 500kcmil CU feeding a 400A disconnect. 320A (80% of 400A)continuous is what the PoCo calls this single phase metering set-up and usually sets this size as the maximum for self-contained metering. Anything larger is usually current transformer metered.

R
Paul, Landis & Gyr makes a 320-amp continuous meter socket with single barrel lugs that are listed for 2 conductors.

G
Paul- Fred pretty well covered it. Our utility company here is SE Michigan show the 400a can in the "Green Book" and it's for residential underground only (some exceptions). As for a fire pump, well, I've only been involved with one of them in residential. It was a group home and we taped ahead of the service panel for it.

George Little
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard