ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#96396 11/24/05 10:30 AM
L
Winnie,

I feel it violates the wording of the code only, not the intent.

I think the code should allow switch loops creating parallel conductors, provided that the OCPD is not greater than the rating of any of the conductors. Most of the article if referring to paralleled conductors with OCPD greater than individual conductors. IMO Exception NO. 2 should be reworded to allow this.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#96397 11/28/05 12:20 AM
L
I've done this (in a commercial setting); therefore, it's legal.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#96398 11/28/05 05:02 PM
I
Earl

There is so much of the NEC that is subject to the intent of the CMP that wrote that section. What is our interpretation and what is the inspector's interpretation often differ

To me that is 'the rub'.

We (electricians or inspectors) have no business trying to guess the intent of the CMP.

The only thing that matters is what is written in black and white.

It is the written work that is adopted into law not the intent of the CMPs.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#96399 11/28/05 09:16 PM
E
Actually we don't have to guess the intent of the CMP. It is recorded in the ROP and ROC by NFPA.

try here: http://www.nfpa.org/displayContent.asp?categoryID=997
and here: http://www.nfpa.org/displayContent.asp?categoryID=998

Earl
#96400 01/03/06 01:44 AM
T
earlydean WROTE:
Actually we don't have to guess the intent of the CMP. It is recorded in the ROP and ROC by NFPA.
That does not change the fact that what the legislative body adopted includes only the language of the code itself. A court trying to sort out conflicting interpretations will look at the legislatures intent but not at the intent of non legislative CMPs. It is a legal absurdity to attempt to delegate legislative authority to anyone outside the legislature in question. The office of the California State Fire Marshal tried to adopt the National Fire Codes by reference without naming a year or addition in an attempt to avoid the costs of periodic adoption. I don't know if any court ever called them on it but I'm confident that the court would have depended on the editions of the various codes that were in effect at the time of the adoption by the legislature.
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#96401 01/03/06 04:42 AM
I
A court trying to sort out conflicting interpretations will look at the legislatures intent but not at the intent of non legislative CMPs.

I disagree with that, I see no reason the court would not start at the source.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#96402 01/05/06 01:10 PM
S
Longtime lurker first time poster.

In Canada this is strictly not allowed. Conductors smaller than 1/0 can only be run in Parallel if they are in the same cable. COnductors 1/0 and larger can only be run in parallel if they are (among other things) of the same length and free of splices. (see rule 4-108 of the CEC if you are interested)

The issue that I see is that if you have conductors of different lengths, you have different impedances. Different impedances lead to potential phase differences at the load (i.e. where the conductors join back together) and the potential for overvoltage at the motor. At the very least you should ensure that the conductors are of the same length.

Steve

#96403 01/05/06 01:21 PM
I
Steve the NEC rules are very similar for the same reasons.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#96404 01/08/06 10:44 AM
W
SteveG,

I've got to disagree with you.

The NEC has similar rules about the use of parallel conductors, but these rules have nothing to do with phase differences affecting the _load_. They have everything to do with different conductor impedance leading to the parallel conductors not equally _sharing_ the current, and thus potentially overloading one of the conductors.

The current differences between the two paths depend upon the impedance difference of the two paths, so that small differences in length could lead to significant differences in current balance.

For the different lengths to have an effect on the _load_ requires such very long paths that the inductance and capacitance of the wire is a significant fraction of the load impedance. Straight voltage drop difference in the conductors wouldn't much matter; you would only have problems with energy stored in the conductors. In other words, over transmission line distances. Especially with 'switch loops' where the loop area is intentionally kept small and the inductance low, I don't see this as a problem for wiring inside of a _structure_, certainly not a home.

-Jon

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard